Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get asked many questions about oil so I thought a thread here for all oil related questions would be a good idea and build into a FAQ or reference point for others.

So, put your oil questions here but please give the following information if you would like a recommendation:

Make
Model
Year
Engine size/type

Any mods

Type of use (road/track)

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used)

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc?

I hope this will help and become a useful thread

Regards
Guy

·
Registered
780 Posts
aha some one to help
i have an ek4 vti 3dr hatchback with the b18c4 from the 98 civic aerodeck vti engine
what gearbox oil should i use, as it reccomends engine oil, except i seem to spend all my time in the vtec and don't think it is good enough (10W40)
also is 10W40 correct for the engine?
i thrash the tits off the car and am going to put it on the track this week, but it won't go on that often, maybe once every 1 1/2 months??
cheers

oh i also have a full exhaust system with manifold, induction kit (its about 180bhp), full coilover suspension and braces (if the chassis affects the oil flow?!?)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok,

For the engine 10w-40 semi synthetic is fine for normal road use, if you plan to use the car on track or just general abuse then 5w-40 synthetic is a much better choice as they are more stable under hard conditions.

For the gearbox, dont bother with engine oil. The correct stuff is an MTF, again for performance use we recomend a synthetic such as the Amsoil Synthetic MTF.

All can be found here http://www.opieoils.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Guy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since getting really ripped off by my local Honda Dealership, i thought it's about time I change the oil etc myself. What engine oil and filter would you recommend?

I have...

Make: Honda Civic
Model: 1.4i SE (5 door)
Year: 2001 (Y)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes a good 5w-40 or 0w-40 synthetic is ideal, you dont need to spend Mobil 1 money there are good alternatives available such as Fuchs, Motul and Silkolene.

Cheers

Guy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
mmm what you think for a civic eg6( b16a2 air intake and header), for everyday use and high revving fun on the road? i used 10w 40 castrol magnatec for my sohc1.6 vtec

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i have castrol magnatec 5w30 weight as specified by honda. i normally dont rag as much but have been using the same stuff in all my cars in nearly 4 years of driving. used in a ford (as specified) and ragged the nuts off that. comes out of my honda golden after 7k+ miles.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
esikris said:
mmm what you think for a civic eg6( b16a2 air intake and header), for everyday use and high revving fun on the road? i used 10w 40 castrol magnatec for my sohc1.6 vtec
Its ok, but being semi synthetic it is 100% mineral base, its a little over priced for what it is.

If you want to stick with the 10w-40 semi then have a look at something like this one from Silkolene http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-6314-silkol ... e-oil.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you fancy going to a better quality oil then its a 5w-40 or 0w-40 synthetic.

Have a look at these http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Guy.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
stug45 said:
i have castrol magnatec 5w30 weight as specified by honda. i normally dont rag as much but have been using the same stuff in all my cars in nearly 4 years of driving. used in a ford (as specified) and ragged the nuts off that. comes out of my honda golden after 7k+ miles.
I am just not a fan of the Magnatec, though the 5w-30 is one of the better of the range. It is a hydrocracked mineral oil.

5w-30 grade is fine, so is 5w-40 and this will give you much more choice of oils to choose from.

Plenty of 5w-30 and 5w-40 oils to choose from http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers

Guy

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i read your other article about it! its £20 for 4 litres with my trade which is half the cost of fully synthetic so i've always gone with whats specified, knowing that fully mobil is always going to be better! also been told to do lots of oil additives like lucas and zx1 etc but its adding to the cost, and i normally bin the oil within half the normal service interval!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What ever you do dont bother with additives they just do more harm then good and put a hole in your pocket.

Decent quality oil with regular changes is all you need.

Cheers

Guy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
hello oilman
iv got a civic coupe 1.5lsi 95 5th gen for road use
i cant find the correct grades what else can i put in my engine and gearbox?
and does it need to be sae in the engine
thanks

1 - 20 of 62 Posts