Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its cold at the minute but this is a bit extreme.

Driving the civic and with the heaters on hot the car temp gauge is dropping off the scale, turn the heaters off and it builds back up. This is driving 60mph country roads sat in town doesnt seem to matter or if the temp is dropping its not noticeable.

Car is guzzling fuel when this happens for obvious reasons and the heaters blow luke warm air, is it just a design fault or am i likely to have a duff thermostat? or is there any other faults that might be causing this.

Its only when its very cold nights and engines get pretty hot, hot enough to keep the water temp up anyway, or so i thought

Any advice?

·
Registered
43 Posts
mines got the same problem mate when its really cold at night and i put the heaters on the temp just drops when i off the heaters it slowly goes back up and oh yh revs go higher at idle at traffic lights when this happens.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daft question maybe, but are most honda stats compatible? I have a spare one from a H22 lude wondering if i can use that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
paul20v said:
the revs go up because the engine ecu temp sensor is reading the lower coolant temp
so its richening the engine slightly and upping the revs as it does when its cold
sounds like you should also change your thermostate these things always become more apparent when ambient tempuratures drop.
honda dealers best place to get the thermostate?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts