Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first time posting anywhere! so forgive any errors and misjudgements.

I hope you can help (in return I can post any advice on replacing a heater core - yep I actually got the courage one day, after 3 months of living with a coolant leak to replace it! So ask away...).

Anyway, I've had my Honda Civic VTEC-E 1997 for yonks now and its never given me ANY problems (except that time when the battery was on its way out -- really hate that in a problem, when it slowly creeps up on you, makes you think it could be this or it could be that, then after 2weeks of furious head scratching, your friend turns up and simply says, "your battery's dead, mate."

But now my car HAS got a problem and yes its one of those slowly-creeps-up-on-you problems.

Firstly, I'd like to ask you all out there - does a VTEC-E 1997 Civic actually have a DLC connector (to connect up a computer/scanner)? If yes, where is it located?

Secondly, is there anyone in the Middlesex area who's willing to help me out with my problem below in return for some beer money and a bit more ;-) ?

Thirdly, can ANYONE advice me on the problem below -

Problem started 2 weeks ago with an intermittent hot-starting problem, then last week it happened first thing in the morning aswell!

Each time, the car would actually start but the engine would immediately stall and die, after which it would turn over but not not start.

For the first few times this happened, out of desperation I squeezed/fiddled all the vacuum hoses I could see and made sure they were firmly attached and also made sure all electrical connectors were firmly attached...and hey presto the car would start!

Each time this happened, I narrowed down my squeezing/fiddling to the EVAP Purge Control Solenoid valve (sits at the top of the intake manifold). One time, all I did was tap this valve and the car started again!

But this week, no matter what I do it just will not start (but it does turn over).

Any advice please. (sorry its turned out to be a long post, but I wanted to make it interesting instead of just, "Help! starting problem. What to do?")

btw,
the MIL does not indicate any error codes :-(
I have pressed the emergency fuel cut-out switch but it didn't help.
Is there a way of cleaning the EVAP Purge Control Solenoid valve?

Tia,
bv123

1 - 2 of 2 Posts