Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for any assistance I can get. '04 1.6 automatic civic, 93k miles.

No idea why the car will not start. father (ex mechanic) and a mobile mechanic out today also stumped.

Things we've tried.
  • replacing the battery (didn't make a difference)
  • replacing the starter motor (didn't make a difference)
  • checking the timing belt (aligned)
  • checking for voltage drops (nothing of note)
  • replacing spark plugs (done)
  • checking the air filter isn't wet (dry)
  • checking for relevant codes (none)
  • Sticky piston rings (drop of oil in there for most the day, no luck)

When under load it just chugs once or twice. When spark plugs are removed it goes over several times, but if you check the videos, neither sound healthy.
Any input, any suggestions are welcome at this point. Anyone had anything remotely similar?

When under load

Spark Plugs removed

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I went down to the garage to get in the car and get some food earlier today, and I turn the key in the Z4 and nothing happens. Doesn't even make a noise like it's trying to start. I checked to make sure that the battery isn't dead or anything. All the lights come on fine, stereo works fine. I don't have any jumper cables around to try a jump start, and my room mate is gone for the day so I will have to wait till he gets back to try that, but since all the electronics work, wouldn't that mean it's fine?

I decided to check fuses for the ignition system and those all look fine also. Unplugged the battery for about 5mins to let everything reset and that didn't work either. Anyone have any ideas what this might be? I don't have another vehicle so I'm stuck until I get this figured out.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The videos indicate (a) either not enough power getting to the starter motor Or (b) a massive mechanical resistance somewhere in the engine or its ancillaries. On the former I'd be checking any relays in the starter circuit abd if there's a resistor circuit in that, the resistor / resistor device too. Cars often have something to switch the alternator out whilst the engine is cranking. If that's all 100% I'd move on to (b) drop the ancillary belt and check all the ancillary items will rotate, finishing with (plugs out) turning the engine over by hand using socket tools. Was there any noise from the engine previously? A seized water pump could cause this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts