Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all ;)

I competed in the 3rd and 4th round of the Nippon Race series this weekend at a very wet and cold Mallory park, so thought I would post a quick write up of my day.

Not a great day out to be honest but its racing so cant expect everything to go my way :)

Weather was appauling so wasnt expecting too much from qualifying, but certainly didnt expect to have a box full of neutrals on the very 1st lap >:eek: . Managed to coast into the pits but wasnt really enough time to get it sorted and back out so left it at that. Sadly the bolt and washer holding the shift linkage support bar had come loose and parted with the car leaving me with no gears. Simple and cheap fix which is always the bloody way :)

For that reason I had to start from the back of the grid behind 20 odd MX5's who like to use each others cars as momentum to get round corners. This mixed with the huge amounts of spray meant I couldnt really see where I was going and with no wet weather track experiance, I decided to get as much track time as possible and just pick off the odd MX5 when they werent going 3 a breast into every corner. I did notice the speedo going a bit crazy which is normally a sign of the Vss playing up but as I still had Vtec, it was decided to leave it alone until after today..........wrong decision :(

Race 2 was still very wet but the rain had eased off and we had swapped the front tyres for Eagle F1's to try and get through the standing water. The plan was to attack hard but it was clear the pack of 8 cars infront of me were going to take no prisoners and as i had nothing to lose or gain by trying to pass them (apart form panel damage) I decided to play it safe and just enjoy the day and stay in one piece. Unfortunately all was going ok until about 6 laps in when there was the odd splutter from the car, which slowly got worse on each passing lap until I spent 70% of each lap costing around trying to get it to rev again. I decided at that point it was getting a bit dangerous having cars passing me on both sides so I called it a day and came back in. Basically the pins on the VSS plug had corroded and given up the ghost which I kinda knew a year ago but its been working fine since so didnt ever think to look at it again >:eek:

Ok so it wasnt the best day, but at least I had a chance to play in the wet and more importantly, the car came back in one piece. I'll happily admit that driving in the wet on R888's can be pretty scary and those MX5's boys can certainly move when they want to, but thats 2 wet races under my belt so hopefully I can improve in the future 8-|

Big thanks as usual to Richy, Deb and Simon from www.performance-autoworks.co.uk for the work done on the car over the past 2 weeks and also being there to support and abuse me throughout the day :lol: . Was also good to see some familiar faces from various forums :cool:

Rockingham in 2 weeks so no time to relax!!!

Pics curtesy of EVS........................

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Sounds like you had a great day out mate. I hate driving in wet conditions on the road but I can imagine on track it could be quite fun at times :)

Did we tell you we saw your car at Japfest? We stood around waiting for you but you never came back to it lol.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
lol loving the one white wheel.. unlucky though mate, shame it didnt go better for you.

We went back to your car 5 or 6 times at japfest but you were never there lol.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys and sorry I didnt see you at Japfest. I was there all day but stood away from the car as it wasnt supposed to be there, hence it being dirty. I just had it dropped off there by Performance Autoworks having some work done to save me collecting it form Fairford.

Theres actually 2 white wheels on there although it does look a bit strange doesnt it :) Just need to paint the rest now so they all match.

Vss is an easy job and its all celaned up, just waiting for a new plug and its sorted and ready to go again.

I've got some in-car footage from Silverstone so i'll get that uploaded soon for you ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
good stuff kris same bout the car ending your day. sounds like you had fun out there, give us a shout when your next race!! cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts