Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i've joined to get some help with my search

I have decided I want a Civic, but I don't know which to get, there seems to be quite a few options with regards trim spec and engine spec, it'll be mostly short journeys and it'll be an upgrade from my 2003 Yaris 1.3 so I think I can rule out Diesel, although I was looking at the 2.2 diesel (2006-2009) when the job I had involved potentially nationwide travel in my own car but thats no longer the case, what I like about the Yaris was the rear seats slide and then fold forward giving excellent boot space with a level floor

so, 2006-2011 (or 2012?) Civic:

I have been looking at the 1.8 petrol having been told that its the best petrol engine in that line up, the 1.4 being underpowered, or is it, and if it isn't, which is most reliable?
I like the alcantara (?) seats, I've seen "magic" seats? I like the panoramic roof option, also i'd like aux for the stereo, my Yaris has the most basic system, which trim level ticks those boxes? Once thats narrowed down, what should I look out for on a test drive?

2012 Onwards:
I know little about this line up as initial searches stretched my budget, however I may consider if theres better value for money on a facelift version although from what I can see they were the same 2 petrol engines?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, i've joined to get some help with my search

I have decided I want a Civic, but I don't know which to get, there seems to be quite a few options with regards trim spec and engine spec, it'll be mostly short journeys and it'll be an upgrade from my 2003 Yaris 1.3 so I think I can rule out Diesel, although I was looking at the 2.2 diesel (2006-2009) when the job I had involved potentially nationwide travel in my own car but thats no longer the case, what I like about the Yaris was the rear seats slide and then fold forward giving excellent boot space with a level floor

so, 2006-2011 (or 2012?) Civic:

I have been looking at the 1.8 petrol having been told that its the best petrol engine in that line up, the 1.4 being underpowered, or is it, and if it isn't, which is most reliable?
I like the alcantara (?) seats, I've seen "magic" seats? I like the panoramic roof option, also i'd like aux for the stereo, my Yaris has the most basic system, which trim level ticks those boxes? Once thats narrowed down, what should I look out for on a test drive?

2012 Onwards:
I know little about this line up as initial searches stretched my budget, however I may consider if theres better value for money on a facelift version although from what I can see they were the same 2 petrol engines?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
My daughter has a 1.4 2012 model which she finds seriously underpowered. I have a 1.8 automatic which is far better. I certainly recommend the 2012 model and the 1.8 engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’ve got the 1.3 it’s a Mk9, bottom of the range S model.

What does this translate to in ‘real life’? City traffic is no problem. (It also has stop-start). Stuck behind a row of HGVs on a single lane A roads. It’s fine. Hustling anywhere? You’ll be making lots of gear changes. It has a 6 speed gearbox and will just about hold 6th gear at 35 miles an hour. So the 0-60 time is dire. It can be made to move, but to do so you need to exploit the i-vtec. It delivers peak torque and peak power in the 4,000 – 6,000 RPM zone. Motorway hills? You’ll be dropping from 6th to 5th or 4th and the same for overtakes. So not as relaxing as some cars. Having said that, the gearbox is superb, the clutch is light and the pedal box well designed. Probably the best of any car I’ve driven, and I’ve driven a lot. You get used to block gating from 3rd or 4th to 6th. The steering is nicely weighted. Maybe not the most communicative but the chassis lets you know what the front of the car is doing. My model is post – update so the ride whilst firm is compliant and doesn’t suffer from the crashing over bumps of the early Mk9s. The chassis outperforms the engine and this can be hustled along quite nicely through twisty roads.

Driver tech? This is the base model so no Sat Nav. As I can now talk to Google Maps on my phone, this is no problem. There’s no Bluetooth, which was surprising. And no telephone integration whatsoever. The audio system is the basic one – FM/AM – no DAB, CD player. However, you can plug a data stick into the centre console armrest cubby and play several GB of music through this, including selecting tracks via the steering wheel button. You can also hook your phone up as a media player in the same way. There’s a 12v socket in the cubby and one in front of the gearstick. The audio quality is quite reasonable – albeit lacking in bass.

The information screen will tell you all you need to know about range, fuel remaining, average consumption etc. The aircon on this base model is pretty good – the controls are fiddly. There’s no lumbar adjustment, though I find the seats firm, comfortable and very supportive.

In the back seat there’s – nothing. No arm rest, no air vents, no USB, no 12 volt socket – nothing except electric windows, a pair of speakers and a bottle sized door bin. You do get the fantastic cinema style seats though. People over 6ft will moan about foot and head space in the back on long runs. They’ll love the front seating though. If you’ve got small children the back seat is fantastic: the doors open really wide and the ISOFIX and top harness connections are easy to get at.

The boot is fantastic – big and a useful shape. The large underfloor space is also very useful. Folding the seats down or using the cinema seating is also very easy.

Rear visibility isn’t as bad as the motoring press makes out. Except when reversing. Your vision line is higher than most car bonnets – so reversing against a wall, hedge or post is fine, but into a parking space with a car behind can be difficult – I’d say reversing sensors are a must. The external mirrors are excellent.

On the move this is a pretty quiet car and very comfortable and there are lots of useful features – things have been well thought out. Cabin storage is good for a car of its size.

The TPMS is over sensitive. I bought a decent tyre pressure gauge, cross calibrated to the tyre pump (comes with car) and it’s all fine.

Fuel consumption has varied from a worse of 38mpg (2 mile trips in the middle of winter lockdown) to 50+ (A road crawls and summer motorway use.). Servicing has been cheap. All the filters are a reasonable price and there’s no cam belt. The plugs are expensive but the recommended swap out is every 75,000 miles. Pads and disks are relatively cheap. Build quality is really good. My mechanic said the only difficult item to change was the cabin filter.

Would I by it again? Yes. What would I want as extras. Parking sensors front and back. A sub unit for the audio in some form and maybe DAB (though my phone provides reasonable internet radio). So probably an upgrade to the SE model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great info from these first couple of replies, rear room isn't an issue, I'll be in the front, I do have a friend of a friend with a 2007, however it's very well used, cosmetically tired, I dunno what engine is in it and don't have direct contact so I haven't asked him anything, but I did always sit in the front while my shorter friends sat in the back as I'm 6'3

My Yaris doesn't carry passengers as the rear seats are permanently folded due to my work gear needing more boot space

Bluetooth isn't required as usb would be perfect, I'll definitely want a sub,

Sounds like the info I had on engines isn't far off, so I'll aim for the 1.8 Petrol

I think MK9 is over my budget, I'm looking at up to £3,500 models, aiming to pay as close to £3k as possible, as the £2k mark gets high milers which I know is fine if it's maintained, but I would like a cosmetically tidy example and that's worth a little extra for me

So far it looks like I can find one that does tick all the boxes my next question goes back to the trim levels:

S is entry, then SE, and then which order are the rest and what do you gain??

ES, Sport, Type S, EX, Si, really so many 🤣, I definitely want a panoramic roof so if that narrows things down that's fine

I don't mind either Auto or Manual, but is one better than the other?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts