Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Im only just new to researching Honda Civics over here (im from Aus) and i need to know which model you'd recommend.
Money is very tight though so i was hoping to get the best I can even though im sure the mileage will be higher than what id hope for.
I know so very little bout the civics, but i do know some of the different vtec setups (Vtec info i read on a US forum) with regard to SOHC and DOHC Vtec versions. Id like to know when the first DOHC Vtec engines came out, and/or which is the best. If thats not affordable then which SOHC vtec is next best or would it be better to just go for a DOHC non vtec (if they make that)?

Ive seen some nice clean stock civics for the 1000 mark with leather interior etc but not vtec and not even DOHC
Ive got a balls out 84 Nissan Pulsar ET Turbo (similar to your Nissan Cherry over here) which ive fully customised from scratch and done all myself including most of the rebuild, so im not a noob to engines or technical setups, but am a noob to hondas as my Nissan is sohc and no way near as advanced as the hondas :p
Having said that, please reply like i have no clue at all. The more i know the better if you have the time to explain each one to me, or the best ones to go for

What can everyone recommend? I know i probably cant get much of a nice car for 1500 or less (i know its not much, sucks), but id like to get the best i can for that kinda money. The petrol-head in me will regret getting a sohc non vtec engined version when im out on the open motorways. I just know it :p

Want something reliable that i dont have to be working on all the time

Im going to be trying to buy one in the next 2 weeks when i get the license sorted out to reduce the insurance premiums which are a joke here. Im 28, been driving for 11 years and they want 1600/yr to insure a 1000 stock civic. Its a joke.

Any help is appreciated and if any of you lads know of anyone in these forums sellin their rides, im interested in checking them out

Cheers

CETFLY

·
Registered
770 Posts
the forth gen (88-91 or ef/ee) civics came with a B16A1 (160bhp) and was called the 1.6i-VT, this s a true honda DOHC VTEC, the forth gen also came with a D16A9 (130bhp), called the 1.6i-16.

the fith gen (92-95 or eg/ej) civics came with a B16A2 (158bhp) and was called the VTi, this is a honda DOHC VTEC engine, the model down is the D16Z6 (125bhp) and called the ESi, this is a honda SOHC VTEC.

the sixih gen (96-00 or ek/em) civics came two DOHC engines, the B16B (180bhp) which is the ek9 type R, and the B16A2 (158bhp) called the VTi. this model also has a D16Y8 (128bhp) which is a SOHC VTEC calles the SE VTEC.

if ive made a mistake in there im sure someone will correct it lol.

what part of aus you from?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
look for the VTI models. they came with DOHC

the eg shape (1992-1995) is probably what you will afford. came with 160hp B series engine. vtec kicks in at 5.5k rpm and you can feel it. nothing really goes wrong with them and if you get a nice one, stick some good oil in in and check for rust and you should be okay. cars around the 100k mark with full service history are the most expensive.

the ek shape (1996-2000. facelift in 98-2000) is probably out of your budget. same engine, different shape body. i have the jordan special edition (only made 500 in 1999, good ones still are around the £5k mark). mine is at 58k miles so low mileage. i have no issues whatsoever on the engine front and no rust.

if you can get a eg shape civic 1.6 vti for your budget the insurance comes out quite high. im paying about 1400. im 20 and its a group 15 insurance.

use autotrader.co.uk and pistonheads.com to find the cars. there are a few forums about too but you will find that they normally use pistonheads as well.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
clinchy said:
the sixih gen (96-00 or ek/em) civics came two DOHC engines, the B16B (180bhp) which is the ek9 type R, and the B16A2 (158bhp) called the VTi. this model also has a D16Y8 (128bhp) which is a SOHC VTEC calles the SE VTEC.

if ive made a mistake in there im sure someone will correct it lol.
The Saloon VTis and the Aerodeck VTis also had a B18 engine in them so thats another one to add to the list :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts