Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, no jizz worthy pics in here, but apparently it's to make an appearance in the next few months alongside a new electric sports car (according to this Top Gear article)..
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/honda-electric-sportster-2011-11-10

Perhaps I'm lagging on this a a bit as I thought the new NSX design and production had been cancelled. Evidently not.. It's making an appearance in the new Avengers movie next year. Unless it remains a concept and never takes off.. which would be a shame.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
hondastlycivic said:
Why do they have to put cr**py electric motors on it :palm:
Perhaps because they realise that electric is the future and that the days of sub 20mpg IC engines are numbered. Would you rather that they just stuck their fingers in their ears and pretended this wasn't the case and get beaten to a pulp when fuel prices become uneconomical? Maybe just contantly run prototypes with no mass market 'real world' testing? Or would you rather that they came out with tried, tested and improved technology that when the day comes that the pumps start shutting down people will still be ragging around in a Honda?

Honda aren't exactly reknowned for sitting on their laurels, a number of years ago Honda commossioned a multi million pound mountain bike team running a custom Honda RN01 frame and gearbox assembly. Only tens of these frames were ever made (rough per unit estimates weigh in at about £70,000 per bike IIRC) and the amount of secrecy and black box stuff going on was unreal. At the end of the program every single unit (barring two that were stolen minus drivetrain and shocks but later recovered) was sent to the crusher which I guess means they got what they wanted out of it. A lot of speculation suggested that the positioning of the gearbox and shock analysis was research into electric motorbikes for use in motocross and such once fuel prices become uneconomical but whatever they were up to you can bet they wouldn't have sunk the money they did into it for nothing.

My point is that change is happening and if Honda want to keep ahead of the game then they need to start NOW. Lets face it, the CR-X is hardly a slouch once you stick a supercharger on it (a trick they really did miss from the start IMO) so why would their flagship model be any different?

As for the NSX and AC-X, good news indeed. I hope the NSX is a worthy successor (something tells me it will be) and I guess the AC-X will slot in where the Beat once stood?

AC-X

NSX

1 - 6 of 6 Posts