Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say hello I`m new to the forum and Hondas in general. Couple of weeks I downgraded from Vectra V6 to EK3 Civic as I don't need a big car at the moment and thought I could save a couple of quid on fuel :)

It`s 96 year totally standard and it will stay like that, it`s a cheap runabout after all. So far I love it, miss the V6 but this is so much easier to drive.

I have one question, is the D15Z6 engine belt or chain driven, don't want anything to snap on me.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
In my opinion mate, the change from the vectra was an UPGRADE not a DOWNGRADE :D
Looks nice make, i love EKs in the boltgun.
You plan on keeping this for long?

Also if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it? Im looking for one at the moment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Skinny said:
In my opinion mate, the change from the vectra was an UPGRADE not a DOWNGRADE :D
Also if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for it? Im looking for one at the moment.
Definitely downgrade ;)

Dont get me wrong I really like it but I took the Vectra round mainland Europe couple of times, I would not dream about doing the same in the Civic. Bought it for 1100 and it`s on 114K miles now, compared to vectra it drives like new.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
lol nah mate, by the look of that vectra, and the fact that you've gone jap.. it was definitely and upgrade in my books lol.

you got any plans for it? a nice set of wheels wouldnt go a miss. If your only keeping it for a daily drive to save money on fuel its pointless modding it though to be honest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK it`s upgrade then :)

Set of alloys would be nice but then it would have to be lowered etc and I`m back where I don't want to be, I spent too much money on previous cars :D Thanks for the belt info.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I wouldnt worry about the engine going wrong - Its a Honda! mines got 155k on it and still drives like its brand new straight out the showroom. Ususally they arnt really run in until they reach 80-90k.

People dont realise this about Hondas and tend to shy away from higher milage cars because they think they are gunna go. If my engine with 155k can handle having the bollocks thrashed off it around a track im sure you will be fine!

She acturally seems to be running a bit nicer after that thrashing down at coombe on the weekend

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Many years ago pretty much all chain driven cars were changed to belts, purely to reduce the noise from the engine. Your Vectra would have been belt driven also. Was that yours in the photo? Looks good.

Welcome to the forum mate.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My car has 90k on it and tbh its the highest milage car ive ever owned. But it feels so damn good to drive and better than most cars ive previosly owned. It feels planted on the road and this maybe the lsd but roundabouts are a joy to take, i used to hate them.

Its a nice little civic you have there, im not sure on that vectra though lol.

·
Registered
370 Posts
hey there phil im a fellow d15z6 owner too. done 121k in mine is smooth as anything apart from cheap backbox resonating :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the welcome :) Yes Civic is more fun to drive but only in the twisties and lower speeds, for anything else it would have to be bit faster (how easy is it to find EK9 in good nick lol?). Everything is so much easier to operate, steering, gearchange, clutch in vectra felt like a workout in the gym at times, no wonder old people like civics ;)

Anyway the vectra is gone, wouldnt say no to another if I could justify running large 30mpg car but it would have to be gsi or turbo conversion :D

Two questions: 1 - is there any point in putting K&N / Pipercross panel filter in and nothing else like de-cat exhaust etc? Made a LOT of difference in the V6.

2 - Quite offen when sitting at let`s say 70 on motorway without moving my right foot it feels like the vtec kicks in on its own - the car would sped up, the econo light would dissapear. Being at 70 therefore at around 3k rpm as far as I know it`s too low rpm for vtec to kick in, does that mean it`s a bit messed up or something? I hope I`m clear enough :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you change your mind and decide not to keep it let me know seriously, I've been looking for so long for exactly that type of Honda lol. Must be looking in all the wrong places!

I'm new to the board too, welcome :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
i disagree nicky, unless i read you wrong :S. the performance gain from say a k&n panel fiter and a cone will be pretty much the same. the panel filter will give you a different exhaust note. for this civic, like mine, i got a k&m cone cheap when i worked at halfrauds. its miles away from the engine so heatsoak is not a problem. panel filters dont get heatsoak because of the big plastic box surrounding. Panel filters also leave a standard looking engine bay if thats what your after.

i find i get the eco light at 73/74 mph and 83/84mph , it always seem to pop in after the speed limit!! yer vtec kicks in at 2500rpm (1st-4th) and 3500 (5th). im not sure the ins and outs of the eco mode but the slight speed increase, i notice too, could be the ecu deciding to run richer to get more power. as far as i know the eco light means the ecu has decided to run lean and mean, when its on the soft cam!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts