Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
01.jpg 02.jpg

The Honda NSX supercar is set to return in 2013 as a 400bhp four-wheel-drive hybrid. The company has already confirmed that a new NSX will be revealed at the Detroit Motor Show in January, and now we have more information and exclusive illustrations of the Japanese Audi R8 rival.

We broke the story in October, accompanied by spy shots of a concept car on the set of the new Avengers movie. And we’ve since had confirmation from a source in Japan that the Detroit show car will be heavily based on that model. Our images show a coupe, but the final production version will also be offered as a roadster.

This isn’t the first time Honda has tried to resurrect the NSX. You might remember the Acura Advanced Sports Car Concept, from the 2007 Detroit expo. The front-engined, V10-powered coupé was supposed to preview the next NSX, but it was canned in 2008 as the financial crisis kicked in. Honda eventually turned it into a racing car.

However, now it appears the company never actually gave up on a reborn NSX. Instead, it simply changed direction. Although the concept will be shown as an Acura – the firm’s luxury North American arm – it will be badged as a Honda when it arrives in the UK, and retain its forebear’s NSX name.

One of the biggest problems with the original NSX, introduced in 1990, was that it sat on a unique platform and used aluminium bodywork. These factors made it lightweight and sharp to drive, but also expensive. The new model will sit on a heavily revised Accord platform, to keep costs as low as possible.

Providing the power will be a 3.5-litre V6 driving one axle and a pair of in-wheel electric motors to turn the other. This will give the NSX four-wheel-drive traction and 400bhp-plus. Performance will be impressive, with 0-62mph taking under five seconds.

The hybrid powertrain is a development of Honda’s SH-AWD system, which we had the chance to sample on a recent trip to Tokyo. What’s not entirely clear yet is what engine configuration the NSX will employ. A mid-engined layout, as used on the original NSX and the Avengers concept, offers the best possible handling balance. So our images show the NSX with the V6 petrol engine driving the rear wheels and the electric motors mounted at the front.

However, there are rumours that the Detroit concept could flip this philosophy on its head and go with a more cost-effective configuration, with the engine up front and the motors at the back. The SH-AWD set-up’s versatility means either way would work.

Audi has already shown this works with the e-tron Spyder concept, which uses a mid-mounted 3.0-litre turbodiesel to drive the rear axle, paired with two electric motors for the front wheels. When this powertrain finally makes production, it will be flipped to fit into any large front-engined Audi.

The new NSX will take a host of design cues from the Avengers car, including LED brake lights that run across the rear deck, twin vertically stacked tailpipes and a pointed front grille.

Unlike the original car, which initially had pop-up headlamps, the newcomer will feature slim lights tucked neatly under the bonnet’s leading edge. Just like the Nissan GT-R, Honda wants to make its flagship model accessible to as wide an audience as possible. Expect a price of around £75,000 in the UK – about £5,000 less than Porsche’s new 911 Carrera S.

Source: Auto Express

·
Registered
786 Posts
r8s japanese cousin ?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not enough power and the red honda badge looks very similar to an EK9 badge, also Honda should stick with the white and red scheme, white body work with rich red body hugging recaros :D

And for £75,000 it costs too much as it will be slower than a GTR but cost more, a true NSX would stay mid engined rear wheel drive

·
Registered
33 Posts
100% Agree Umbot. Although £75,000 would buy you a GTR + the Performance packages to get it running 600-700BHP and receive hefty change, the NSX would be much rarer... Is still to much for it, though. They should stick with the Traditional Honda theme, Champ White!

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
EG6A2 said:
100% Agree Umbot. Although £75,000 would buy you a GTR + the Performance packages to get it running 600-700BHP and receive hefty change, the NSX would be much rarer... Is still to much for it, though. They should stick with the Traditional Honda theme, Champ White!
agreed :'(
nothing about the car is new, lotus carbon front end
[attachment=1:bvy5izkz]2010-Lotus-Evora-Carbon-Concept.jpg[/attachment:bvy5izkz]

rear end is similar to the mclaren mp4
[attachment=0:bvy5izkz]user69202_pic13422_1252545160.jpg[/attachment:bvy5izkz]

again nice car, not enough imagination from the designers although chasis and powerplant ideas/ power distrbution sound intresting.. they should have left out the "accord chasis based" who wants a supercar based on a family slowbus?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
^ Lots of very different cars have shared a chassis over the years, doesn't really mean a thing. Noble M12's were practically Ford Mondeos for instance...

I like it though you do have to remember that what you see above is nothing more than a render based on a motor journalists impressions of what they think it will look like.

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Hey, if Tony stark has one... it's got to be cool!

I actually think it looks rather nice... yet, going on what I've seen so far I prefer the original car. The new version just seems like it's lacking in something. And the old is more within my price range so it's all good lol

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
Not really an NSX without the pop up headlights :S

Although Tony Stark's one looks the shiz. I'm still not convinced by the back end, it's just not quite right

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Not a fan of it in the flesh. The front bumper reminds me of a Megane Coupe:

Loved the old one but this design just doesn't do it for me, maybe it will grow on me.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
think id rather have the old one, cant beat the looks of it!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
TwistedSanity666 said:
bar the nsx's which dont have pop up headlights lol

The first thing i thought was Mclaren MP4 when I saw the pics, looks good though. 400bhp and 75k puts it in a few market places really. Yes R35 but also a budget Ferrari for instance

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mind you... Honda can work wonders with horsepower, it'll be 400 JAPANESE horses so that could help ;)
I hope it remains very light but I know it wont, electric motors, four wheel drive system..hmm :palm:

Honda can work wonders however, such as the four door civic type r FD2
Lets see if they can do the same, il be :surprised: :eek: :surprised: :eek: :surprised: :eek: :crazy: :crazy: :clap: if it beats the GTR R35 round the nurburing, that should be their goal :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,752 Posts
Here's the actual one, as revealed by Honda earlier today at the detroit motorshow:

[attachment=0:2iqntx1q]medium_NSX_Concept_-_under_embargo_until_Jan_9_2012_at_2000h_GMT.jpg[/attachment:2iqntx1q]

Loads more pics here: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/acura-ns ... 12-photos/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
ryan. said:
TwistedSanity666 said:
bar the nsx's which dont have pop up headlights lol
That is of the truth, although I never really liked that in the NSX. It was like the Mitsubishi GTO, which had pop up headlights, but its rebranded GT3000 UK version had the crappy headlights

1 - 20 of 33 Posts