Honda Civic Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We have a honda civic diesel 2.2 2012. Had it for 3 years and its been fine apart from a DTF problem a year back. Now this is where the story starts and I'm clueless what to do mechanical wise.

So, about 3 months ago noticed that there was a smell coming through the vent of the car. It was quite punguent so took it too local mechanic. He said that one of the injector seals (number 4) had gone so charged us £130 to replace it.

Two week later the smell came back and the car was making a really loud chugging sound like an old locomotive. Took it back to garage and was told that another seal had gone but he might as well replace all 3 of the older ones at the same time. Charged us £200 to do that and when i went to pay showed me the washer from (number 4 which they had previously replaced) and said they had replaced that again also. He said if number 4 goes again they would have to change the cylinder? He also mentioned that the injectors had been soldered? What does that mean as googled it and couldnt find anything on it.

24 hours later, was stuck in traffic and engine management light came on saying 'PGM-FI' and there was lots of smoke coming from the bonnet. Drove the 5 mins to where we were going (to buy a second hand petrol mower) and the guy i was buying the mower off took a quick look and said you need to take it back to garage.

We drove it slowly home and i took a quick look and could see all kinds of oil residue next to injector 3 and 4. I stupidly didnt have engine on so couldnt see smoke.

So, this morning just before leaving for work i took plastic cover off engine, started the car and smoke was streaming out of injector 4 (i assume injector 4 is the far right one) and the ticking noise was back.

Have emailed garage but no reply yet. Surely something like that should not just go in 24 hours? I'm unsure what he meant about the soldering on injectors as well as he put that on the invoice.

Any help or advice as to what i can do next as guy in work told me that regards the cylinder thats a huge job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update, took it to the garage and they said it needs a new fuel injector on number 4 and it should be alright then. Said that the first 3 injectors look ok. They are still puzzled as to why the injector is soldered though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, had a brand new fuel injector put into number 4. Was ok for a week and now its started smoking again. Anyone had any experience like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, had a brand new fuel injector put into number 4. Was ok for a week and now its started smoking again. Anyone had any experience like this?
Sounds like the garage has made a right mess of that job. If an injector seal has been leaking for a while, the seat that it sits on (part of the aluminium head) often ends up getting erroded slightly and a new seal is extremely hard to form again even with new copper washers.

Once the leaking injector has been removed, it's vital that the seats and thoroughly cleaned, and sometimes even "Re-Cut" using an injector seat cutting tool.

I am not fully knowledgable with the engine, but the reason the other 3 maybe now leaking is because the garage had to remove them to get to the one that they were originally trying to fix? (This may not be the case but on some cars the injectors are sort of entangled so to get the last one out the others have to come out).

I know this maybe a bit late. Did you get it sorted in the end?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts