Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok been workin on my ICE build few a week now and stil got lots to do!

I am installing:
Alpine Headunit
Alpine type R components powered by vibe black box 2
Alpine Type R sub 10" powered by Alpine MRD-m301

Started off making the tweater mounts, so removed the wing mirror covers and got started!

[attachment=5:eek:fjtcx6t]SS850572.JPG[/attachment:eek:fjtcx6t]

Drilled out outline for the plastic tweater mount to fit in then cut it out with a stanley B

[attachment=4:eek:fjtcx6t]SS850574.JPG[/attachment:eek:fjtcx6t]

Stuck it out with a glue gun, then maskin taped up the area that needs to be flat as it is where the door closes..

[attachment=3:eek:fjtcx6t]SS850578.JPG[/attachment:eek:fjtcx6t]

Using tape and the back and the glue gun round the edges, streched a bit of fabric over to get the shape i wanted.

[attachment=2:eek:fjtcx6t]SS850580.JPG[/attachment:eek:fjtcx6t]

Then using just fibre glass resin, painted over the fabric, after an hour when it was stil tacky, i gave it another coat for strengh. Once it was dry sanded to remove the sheen.

[attachment=1:eek:fjtcx6t]SS850642.JPG[/attachment:eek:fjtcx6t]

Using P38 filler, covered the resin, filling up any dips. then sander with fine wet and dry paper. gave it another coat with filler building it up evenly.

[attachment=0:eek:fjtcx6t]SS850645.JPG[/attachment:eek:fjtcx6t]

Gave a coat with grey primer, so i can see the areas which need a bit more filler to remove pin holes etc... This is as far as ive got so far!

Hopefully gona finish with silver that matching the main dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the sub box, i wanted to save as much boot space as possible, thats why i choose the apline 10 inch type r sub.

To do this i am makin it out of fibre glass.

[attachment=3:197hec12]SS850636.JPG[/attachment:197hec12]

Started off covering the area i want to mould the box with masking tape, makin sure its all covered well so no fibre glass touches the car, then using a bin bag covered the rest of the boot.

[attachment=2:197hec12]SS850637.JPG[/attachment:197hec12]

cut the fibre glass tissue into managble peices, then mix up sum resin with the hardner and start slapping it on the tissue with the brush, eventually it will hold itself in place, work along, slightly overlappin the layers of tissue until the whole area is covered, It took about 0.55 m squared to do one layer, I recommened ordering it off ebay, as it cost me nearly £5 per layer in halfords! once dry i did another layer with fibre glass.

[attachment=1:197hec12]SS850638.JPG[/attachment:197hec12]

Cut a piece of MDF to fit at the back, make sure it runs tight againts the back of the seat, then stick this in place with the fibreglass tissue. I then did another coat using plasterers scrim as reinforcement. Bit of an experiment, but i fink with another layer of resin it will be solid!

[attachment=0:197hec12]SS850641.JPG[/attachment:197hec12]

Then i cut the baffle for the front, This took a while, 1st i out the basic shape by outlining on the mdf with a pencil, then bit by bit trimed peices off with the jigsaw until it fit, I wouldnt worry about it being to neat as it will all get filled once its in. I then cut out the hole for the sub.

This is as far as i got so far, i need to build a few more layers of fibreglass resin up until its completly water tight before i attach the front baffle. Il keep u updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tweater mounts finished, just waitin for dam ISO to arrive since i got car all ripped apart installin new cd player didnt kno i needed one til to l8!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks really good mate is it finished yet? any pics of it installed?

·
Registered
822 Posts
dont know if you have heard the type R components yet, but my brothers got two sets in his lexus, and the clarity is on a whole new level...

keep us updated please :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry i havent posted in so long.! Its all finshed now, has been for a few months, i will load the pics up next week. Yes the type r components are amazing, i actually had to turn the tweaters down a bit as they were so eye peircingly sharp! The sub box turned out well in the end and am really chuffed at how tidy and space saving the boot is looking. Pics to come....

·
Registered
2 Posts
looks good for what i can see so far just about to start my ek4. Got a set of focal 6.5" components focal amp and jl500/1 amp and 13" jl sub just in the middle of designing the install .What did you do with your components did u just make rings or did u make door builds.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
in my ej9 i did this:

An 18mm main area with an 18mm speaer ring making a 36mm mdf baffle bolted straight to the inner skin. Fully deadened door (bar outer skin) using CDT HD62 components running off a genesis profile 4 getting 140wrms a side. It was certainly loud and just the front end alone would be good enough for most people

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just made MDF rings to bring them out, was a very tight fit, struggled to get the door card back on!

Now heres the pics i promised. Il carry on with the sub box i built.

After i cut the baffle and screwed on a bit for the side i offered it into the sub box and masking taped it all round.

[attachment=6:lxfuuaet]SS850655.JPG[/attachment:lxfuuaet]

Then i mixed up sum resin with the harderner, and added in sum saw dust. Then using my fingers (very messy!) putting my hand through the hole for the sub i ran the mixture round the edges on the inside where the baffle connects to the FG mould. I did a few layers of this then when it was dry removed the tape. Then i mixed up some p38 filler, and filled it in from the outside ensuring all gaps all completely sealed! walah!

For the speaker cable u just drilled a whole in the back side, ran the lengh thru i needed, then siliconed the wires inplace to insure no hole remained.

[attachment=5:lxfuuaet]SS850657.JPG[/attachment:lxfuuaet]

Now for carpet. simples. Just cut the size. spray carpet adesive on both the box and carpet, press into place and leave to dry.
( btw if your wondering what the brown colour is, i had s tin of brown satin wood paint lying around so i gave it a few coats over the fibre glass on the outside to fill in any pinholes that side to ensure air tightness)

[attachment=4:lxfuuaet]SS850658.JPG[/attachment:lxfuuaet]

Then using my friend Stan. B cut the whole out for sub

[attachment=3:lxfuuaet]SS850659.JPG[/attachment:lxfuuaet]

Now thats the sub ready to go in..

Edit:

now when it came to runnin the wires thru, at 1st i found it quite difficult tryin to feed them in, but i figured out a good way to do this. For the power i used the fog light whole that sum1 else mentioned on the forum. Then to get the wire to the boot i took the front bit of plastic off on the side of the footwell ( pic ) and fed the wires down the flat bit. If you undo the bolts that hold the seat belt in place, u can lift up the back bit of plastic and get the wires round the sharp bend that is extremely hard to do if its not undone, and run the down the side of the back seats and into the boot.
[attachment=2:lxfuuaet]SS850652.JPG[/attachment:lxfuuaet]
[attachment=1:lxfuuaet]SS850653.JPG[/attachment:lxfuuaet]

The sound proofing took a while but was def worth it! no more rattles! i was planning to give the whole door a layer but i was short so had to do it patchy, but it stil works wonders. here show the speaker fitted as well with the mdf spacers. i had to trim these down as tight as i could to get the door card to go back on, it stil didnt get the very corner cilps to go in but its no bother. And by the way the speaker covers didnt stay on thats just for show! :D
[attachment=0:lxfuuaet]SS850654.JPG[/attachment:lxfuuaet]

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
nice work so far mate but wont the size of the sub box ie being quite shallow distort the sound some what

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
plummo_vtec said:
nice work so far mate but wont the size of the sub box ie being quite shallow distort the sound some what
as long as there is enough total volume it doesnt matter

·
Registered
679 Posts
i like ice builds...but i cant have 1 in mine as im going for a racey look....maybe if i had a 4x4 i could splash out on ice ice baby lol

·
Registered
143 Posts
ryan. said:
[quote="plummo_vtec":23sya6xf]nice work so far mate but wont the size of the sub box ie being quite shallow distort the sound some what
as long as there is enough total volume it doesnt matter[/quote:23sya6xf]

Ryan is right about the volume, it should be fine unless the back of the sub touches the fibreglass. . .if you get what i mean. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
just thought i would pick as im embarking on making a double box starting in the same place as yours but swooping round to the back seat and didnt want to do all that work to find the sound quality is compromised

1 - 20 of 42 Posts