Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

After several years of enjoyment driving around in our '94 metalic blue 3 door 16valve 1.5 lsi we inherited my grandad's '98 silver 5 door 8valve 1.4 SE. It's the one that looks like a Rover. :eek:(

I'm still coming to terms with just how incredibly dull it is and how abismal it is to drive. I can tell the 8valve 1.4 engine is good (as far as 1.4 8valve engines go), and in my mates 3 door I think it's perfectly matched, but in our car it's just not quite powerful enough. My main concern is how bad the handling is! I can't believe how soggy it is.

So my questions... I've seen sporty VTEC versions of our generation of Civic driving around, do they handle just as badly or did they get a decent suspension setup? IE could I get a garage to upgrade the suspension to these components or would I be better off getting after-market stuff done? If so which bits can be changed and what kind of expense am I looking at?

The other thing is the engine. How hard would it be to source a 1.6 or 1.8 16valve VTEC engine? Which versions would work? And again what kind of expense am I looking at?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
You can upgrade the suspension, Civics will handle really really well with a decent suspension setup!

Yeah its also easy enough to source a B16 or a B18 to go in your Civic but if you want to do that then you need to upgrade brakes and stuff like that too.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
in my opinion (and its just my opinion )
that has to be the worst civic that they ever made and the fact they got involved with rover in the first place was a marketing suicide as far as i can see
you hit the nail on the head when you said the one that looks like a rover there one in the same all but the honda has different lights
what were they thinking :(

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
and the honda's get honda engines......
i dont like the mb shape mainly cos they look like rovers.
they did an mb6 version which came with a 1.8 VTEC engine. they also did some things to the chassis. because they are so easy to come by, people buy these for the engines for their 3 door cars. it would be more cost effective to get a 1.8 VTEC version as they come ready done. some also have part leather interiors.

going from the 1.5 into the 1.4 is silly. you get more mpg in the 1.5 than any of the other civic's in the range!

·
Registered
680 Posts
davidwilce said:
Hello everybody,

we inherited my grandad's '98 silver 5 door 8valve 1.4 SE. It's the one that looks like a Rover. :eek:(
This is taking the piss out of myself here but damn i cant stop laughing and i dont know why??? 3:) 3:) 3:)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
its spelt VTEC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

picture of a toy from early learning centre showing what a v-tech is:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts