Honda Civic Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here's my car, got it in November 2008. As you'll see from the horrendous red 'L's I've not passed my test yet. Which is understandable seeing as I've yet to even sit a theory test...

Anyway, I said I'd get some pics and here they are: I'd like to do a few mods to it, but only mods which will not affect my insurance as I'm only 23 (24 on Tuesday) and haven't got a full license!

Here goes:

Roof of Metro Centre car park

In my driveway

From the back

Engine bay

And again

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: My '04 Sport

Here's a close-up of the dent I put into the boot by refersing into a Transit van with a ladder on the back of it! :(

Think this'll pop out if I take out the interior plastic of the boot and buy some colour-matched spray-paint? Granted it will never go back perfectly, but the main dent would (should) be gone and I can then spray it myself...

if so, does anyone know how to go about taking the interior out of the boot of one of these things? :D

Or do you think I should have it done by a pro? Rather not spend loads on it tho, just make it look decent again :)

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: My '04 Sport

I'm not surprised there hasn't been any replies to be honest, it's pretty unremarkable compared to some (most) of the cars on here what with it being a standard Civic Sport... :eek:

So, I need some advice/help etc.

I need to know what mods I should get/do/install, they'll need to fit the following criteria mind:

1. Effect on insurance - I need mods which I either (legally) do not need to tell my insurance company about or mods which when they're told, won't make any/much difference.

2. Cost - I can't afford to spend the earth, especially over the next few months, but would be willing to save up for decent shit if I take a fancy to it.

3. Ease of installation - I'd prefer to do most of the shit myself so that I can say 'look what I've done' and feel like I've achieved something as this is my first 'propper' car and I can also make sure I do everything right, no cowboy shit.

So, keeping in mind those criteria feel free to advise me, I'm guessing performance mods will be out the window due to insurance, but if anyone can tell me otherwise....

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't trust myself cleaning the engine out, I just know I'd get water etc. where water wasn't supposed to end up! lol.

I do normally keep it clean though, on the outside at least...

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
aright mate, sorry i never saw yer post til now or i'd have been right on the case for you.

Well your right, almost all "major" performance mods wil be out of the question, However............ There are a few mods you can do to the car and it should either A. nae effect your insurance, B. put it up a bit or C. put your insurance down a bit. Yes you did read that last bit properly, some mods can have the effect of puting your insurance down a bit.

So lets start with option C.

These mod's would take the shape of "safety and security" or thats what you can tell yer insurance company. An approved aftermarket alarm system. You can pick them up for a few hundred and some you can wire in yourself. But at the same time you can go to the other end of the scale, and they can cost you thousands. Some of the aftermarket alarms can have quirky features (prox alarms, remote start etc etc...). A couple other mods can be upgraded brakes, again this is not cheap but would reduce your insurance as you can tell your insuracne company that the car has improved brakes which could mean if you were ever in a possible accident senario you should either be able to stop before or drasticly reduce your speed in time.
And air fliters/cold air systems. And as much as it may surprise you but this can work in your favour as you can explain that it does not give the car any performace increase (very minimal increase) but it allows the car to breath as its not sucking in warm engine bay air thus taking a little strain off the engine. This may sound like "BS" but people have used that line before and it's worked for them, but it kinda only works if its fully comp insurance.

Option B.
Exhaust systems; this is like a red rag to a bull, when it comes to exhaust's 99% of the time your insurance will go up if its "performance" exhaust system. An exhaust is seen as a "boy/girl racer" give away. However there are ways round the system if your willing to haggle a bit. Example, if you've just "replaced" your exhaust type with a stainless steal type then there is no "performance" difference you just have an exhaust that WILL NOT RUST. Aftermarket Alloys and lowering will put up the cost along with a body kit.
The use of larger type alloys but the same factory make will not increase your insurance, for example, going from 16inch honda alloys to 17inch honda alloys is still classed as "factory spec". Also you could argue the point that "light weight" aftermarket alloys help increase MPG same with replacing standard parts with light weight carbon parts...... I'm not sure if this will fly with the insurance companies, but with the politicaly correct world that we now live in im sure you could convince them that its for "green" reasons lol

Option A
This takes the shape of window tints, painting the engine bay, drop in air filters, foot pedals, floor mats, lights, new oil temp gauges, water temp gauges, etc etc etc. Basicaly anything that will not change the overall shape or performance of the car....

Erm think thats everything that I can think off, being that you are older should lower your insurance even though you are a "new" driver.

If you can think of anything ive missed just ask and i'll try and solve your query

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't mind changing all the lights in the dash to a nice deep blue, or a 'propper' red as the 'orangy red' isn't too nice to look at to be honest.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a Type R tailgate, but would take off the Type R badge as that's not what I'm going for... but what'd the implications for the insurance? I know there was the option to have a Type R spoiler fitted to the Sport when it was new, so perhaps it'll just count as 'Factory Spec' ?

Wouldn't mind some new wheels, but like you said, it's likely to go against me on the insurance. Brakes would be nice to replace, but they're expensive as fuck! Perhaps I could just get new ones for the front, replace the back ones with the current front ones and then I'll be sorted? Still wouldn't be cheap though I bet!

As for the engine cleaning, what should I cover up, I'm guessing the fuse box to the left and any wiring is probably best kept dry... although the fuse box in the pic looks rather moist! :p

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Toninho said:
I wouldn't mind changing all the lights in the dash to a nice deep blue, or a 'propper' red as the 'orangy red' isn't too nice to look at to be honest.

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for a Type R tailgate, but would take off the Type R badge as that's not what I'm going for... but what'd the implications for the insurance? I know there was the option to have a Type R spoiler fitted to the Sport when it was new, so perhaps it'll just count as 'Factory Spec' ?

Wouldn't mind some new wheels, but like you said, it's likely to go against me on the insurance. Brakes would be nice to replace, but they're expensive as f**k! Perhaps I could just get new ones for the front, replace the back ones with the current front ones and then I'll be sorted? Still wouldn't be cheap though I bet!

As for the engine cleaning, what should I cover up, I'm guessing the fuse box to the left and any wiring is probably best kept dry... although the fuse box in the pic looks rather moist! :p
New tailgate and or Type R Spoiler wont have any insurance implications.

The alloys question; It will only put up your insurance if you go for an aftermaket upgrade ie, BBS, enkei etc etc So if you were to go for the Type R alloys they are still "factory" wheels, plus some lucky S.O.B's got them as "added extra's" when they bought there sport.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think I've pretty much decided on getting a new Type-R tailgate, then probably some Type-R wheels, too, but I know I'll get some stick along the 'wannabe' lines, but I'm not arsed... maybe once my insurance comes down from what I'm paying now for a Sport (about 800 fucking quid!) I'll actually invest in a real Type-R lol

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Nah you should'nt get any stick as a lot of people do those mods as they are the easiest. haha hard luck with the insurance, but im paying the same. Only diference is ive got a more powerfull car lol lol

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've pretty much got the first bit of work set up, I'll be buying a new tailgate (still a Sport, not a Type R) from a guy off this site next month, so that'll give me something to do and it'll put the car back to looking as good as when I bought it, no dents in the tailgate! :D

After that, I don't know... I have an iPod-enabled headunit which I think I will put in, though I wouldn't mind putting something funky in the space underneath it instead of the empty tray, but again, I have no idea what kinda shit I could do with it... Something fun and possibly practical, lol. I need to fix the blower on the passenger side of the centre console anyway as the directional blades have got stuck, so if I can do all this shit at once, that'd be great as it's a fucking nightmare getting the stupid plastic cover off, apparently!

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
To be fair mate, it aint that bad getting the centre console off. Its just a pain in the ass compared to other cars. Youl be able to do everything at once cos it all comes out in one.

Follow the ep head unit removal guide rob wrote and youl be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aye, I've read it, and a few other ones, I reckon I'll be alright... In fact, I might go and do it now...

Still, any suggestions as to what could replace the 'spare' tray under the head unit?

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
If your into fabricating, you could maybe sit one of them road angel things in it? Not sure if thats what they are called, but a speed camera detector. There is soooooo much you could do, how about a programmable scrolling led display lol. If your putting an ipod head unit in, why not drill a hole through the back of it and have the dock inside it at the back?

Sky's the limit man.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fucking bollox and cunt!

I've been out there all after-fucking-noon and I only managed to get the bottom part of the centre-console unclipped and loostened the left-sided bolt/screw. I cannot for the life of me get that one on the right hand side, I have a socket wrench, but I don't have an 8mm head, only a 7mm and a 10mm ffs! I will do it eventually, but I just need to find the easiest way to get to the right screw/bolt thing...

Why did Honda put an anti-theft system in the standard headunit? If a little scummy charva broke into my car and uninstalled that head unit all in the time it takes the car alarm to wake me up and get downstairs I'll give him the fucking security code myself!

Any tips on getting that little bastard out would be much appreciated, that's my afternoon practically wasted! ¬_¬

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ha! Aye, I tried that, haven't got an 8mm spanner though, can't get the pliers in there and haven't got a flexible screwdriver bit... I'm impatient as well, that doesn't help! :D

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.