Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And yet again my honda lets me down! A big list of failures however, most of em being small.

I'm gonna fix them with stock parts cos I can't afford to put performance parts on yet! Here's a lovely list of failures (some I think way too strict...):

001 Offside obligatory mirror insecure
002 (High idle speed) emissions not tested <--- i didnt think this was ever a failure? lol
003 Nearside headlamp aim too low
004 Nearside rear (top) torque/reaction arm has a deteriorated rubber bush resulting in excessive movement
005 Service break efficiency below requirements (46% which I think is BS cos I race and always find breaking fine).
006 Exhaust blown at joint (they dont state which joint lol)

So what you guys reckon? Too strict or?... I'm sending it off to a friend of mine he's a good mechanic to fix it on Tuesday. </3

·
Registered
22 Posts
way too strict i work in a garage that test mot's and i wasnt aware that high idle speed was a reason for failure or a reason not to test the emissions , all the rest are routine things that happen over time ,

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It does sound a little bit harsh to be fair mate! Nothing major so i wouldnt worry about it :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, when I touch the acceleration it sticks around 1,500 - 2,000 and then if I tap the accel. again it goes back down.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
sorry mate your idle is a fail , just get it sorted but it should have had an emission test regardless of this.
the rest is run of the mill stuff .

this is direct out of the testers manual under reasons for rejection:
A. All vehicles

1. The engine
a. is idling at a speed clearly above its normal idling speed

b. emits dense blue or clearly visible black smoke for a continuous period of 5 seconds at idle

c. emits excessive dense blue or clearly visible black smoke during acceleration which would obscure the view of other road users.

Note: Older vehicles, particularly pre-1960. may emit unavoidable smoke due to their design. Such smoke is not a reason for rejection.

this is not all relevant to your car its a paragraph out of the manual.

brakes all the tester should do is put your cars brake results in the computer and the cars weight
the computer passes or fails the car not the tester ,
exhaust blowing has to be excessive, it doesnt have to state were on the system ,can you hear it blowing?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got a back box on my car so I can't really tell, but I think I can hear some noise on the mid box. Aww well, it is small problems, I'll fix them and as soon as MOT is done, decide whether to upgrade my honda and get a nicer one! Whoever had this car before me did NOT look after it...

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
jones said:
way too strict i work in a garage that test mot's and i wasnt aware that high idle speed was a reason for failure or a reason not to test the emissions , all the rest are routine things that happen over time ,
all thats on the list is fair as long as the tester is not bullshitting ,

the high idle is a reason for rejection , but the emissions should still have been tested ,

at the end of the day if anyone has an issue with there test either failing or thinking it should not have passed you should get an appeal form available from any test center , and appeal against the decision made ,
if you do this the car is not allowed to be repaired until v.o.s.a have inspected the car , also if they find nothing wrong with the test you will have to pay for another test.

Its anybodys right to appeal.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Madness said:
I got a back box on my car so I can't really tell, but I think I can hear some noise on the mid box. Aww well, it is small problems, I'll fix them and as soon as MOT is done, decide whether to upgrade my honda and get a nicer one! Whoever had this car before me did NOT look after it...
if you get a mate to hold a rag or cloth in the tail pipe it will make the blow louder so you can hunt it down mate.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stug I think you are almost 100% right. I was thinking something like, my throttle cable is getting stuck maybe.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts