Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking on getting a coupe either the 1.5 or the 1.6 Gibbscp edit: VTEC. i wanna do somethig different tho. any ideas? thanks

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Ah a coupe fan, yippeeeee....... Well first of all how old are you? Because if your under 21 a 1.6 DOHC civic is going to hurt on the insurance front. 1.5/1.6 SOHC will be cheaper to run and insure, but will have less power than the DOHC (duh!!)

With any civic you can doing anything and everything to it, just depends on your budget and what you want it to do in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i will be 22 in bwt 2 weeks so that side wont be to bad, im thinkin jdm, so lights, lowering it by 40 mm, nice set or 15" alloys, new lca's light smoke tints, ek9 grill if it fits. if i can get hold of a DOHC then i want to get a vtec controle.
i heard that vtec works by the valves opening fully, if this is true then maybe i coud find a way to have the valves open from idle, proposed "vtec from 20000 rpm"
Eventualy i would like to either turbo, or prehaps supercharge it. as you say the possiblitys are endless but there is a lot to think about. im affraid i cant drive without music tho so its going to have the best system i can get my hands on. i mite go as far as a coplete custom boot build. then eventualy my 2 favourite things will be together, speed and noise! cb

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
The valves dont open fully as all cars valves open fully, they just stay open for longer. Aloowing more fuel and Air to be mixed.
Having the Vtec mod on from idle is not a good idea, 1. you're improving the chances of something going wrong, And 2 Your MPG is going to be really really BAD!!! Maybe lower it to 3500/4000RPM but i wouldn't go any lower. If it were me i wouldn't even mess with the vtec contoler. Just work on the torque figures and that will get you to Vtec mode quicker rather than messing with the Vtec contoler.

·
Registered
103 Posts
slow down dude modding any civic coupe is like modding any other car u start with the basics, Wheels, Suspension then exhaust etc....

Lowering the point of Vtec is a bad idea imho its perfect as it is thats how it was designed, i mean how many more horses do u want out of a 1.6 !? any ford boy would kill for that out of ther xr3i ;)

take your time do your reasearch and keep it clean u wont go far wrong, and the lca's dude are a further down the line mod, no need unless its lowered and modded.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
^^^^As above,good advice spoons

1 - 9 of 9 Posts