Honda Civic Forums banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Alright thanks for the help, got any good websites where i could get all this stuff ? And another question, is the SOHC Vtec engine remapable???

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
search and you shall find dude.

But yes you can map it, you need an older obd1 ecu tho and the harness to fit it.

As for turbo, go ebay for budget. Ask civit on here he did the ebay route.

Or search race tech for something a bit more up market.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
http://www.h-tuning.co.uk this guy called Scott was a great help for remapping my D16, get a P28 ECU then the OBD1 conversion harness, depending on what your car is now will determine what ODB2 it is (OBD2a, OBD2b etc) so you know which harness you need to convert from. As Tony said this forum is packed full of this information and the previous pages on this thread also state bits about what you need so give the search button some use and im sure you'll be clued up in no time at all :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys new to this forum. Looking for self help into converting my EP1 1.4 to something more powerful with more potential. the engine is currently a d14z6 engine. Wanting to put some sort of vtec in it but unsure on what the best could be? looking for something easy enough to do that would also be worth it? any help would be great. Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Mini me would be the easiest conversion for you, from that there is then turboing and change out the engine for a DOHC engine

·
Registered
129 Posts
Gibbscp said:
Mini me would be the easiest conversion for you, from that there is then turboing and change out the engine for a DOHC engine
haha the old dohc is better than sohc,iv got a d16z6 running about 300-350bhp at the moment and hope to have 400 out of it when mapped properly,
check the bismoto d16z6 with 700+ponys, sohc engines can be tuned well if sensible but if a dohc came up cheap id not say dont swap it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
400 hp? That's crazy, what you running just now?
So if I got the d16z6 it would be an easy enough swap? Know anywhere in uk were I could get a hand with it? Trying to understand this whole mini me concept, is it just the head you swap? And ecu etc? Thanks guys

·
Registered
129 Posts
iv just done the swap on my lsi.
i needed,z6head+intake manifold and all gaskets,engine loom,interior loom(full behind the dash),ecu, thats about it.
the turbo is running a greddy td04 turbo+greddy manifold,greddy emanage piggy back ecu,forged rods and pistons,550c injectors,aem fuel rail and uprated regulator,stainless gasket,lightend fly,paddle clutch,etc etc etc

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Marcus0986 said:
Could you incorporate the VTEC to work with twin carbs?

If so how would you do it?

easy mini-me swap for a vtec head then fit your webbers on instead of the intake manifold the EFI engines have. simples

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ah Simples

However, I don't have a loom for the vtec solenoid so would you set up a live and an earth to a rocker switch when you want VTEC enabled??

As with running between 6000-10,000 rpm permently so need it enabled permenantly :thumbup:

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
no you will need a vtec ecu to match the vtec head with carbs. and run a wire to enable vtec. live is wired to pin A4 on the vtec ecu if you are using a non vtec loom and earth the other one to the block then the ecu reads rpm. and should engage vtec as normal

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
tbh if your running carbs just have it constantly engauged, as it will run badly if it switches over.

special reason why your running carbs? if not then go injection works alot better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats what I thought, just wasnt sure if it would cause problems

Its a battery saver when racing and carbs seem to be alot more friendlier with throttle response etc...

A few guys run injection and they keep having the ecu shutting down on them either in limp or completly...

Can you get a rejet for the carbs to maximise the vtec?

·
Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Really?

tbh if your reving it to 10000rpm its not going to last long.

im assuming you have the D13B2 engine in a EG3?

in which case a good plan would be a D16Z6 or D15b head on it as you can map it to run up to 9.9krpm and will give you alot more poke. The bottom end wont last long but hey they are cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep

Dont often top out 10k usually depends

I have a D14A2 in at the moment on twin carbs but fitting a D16Z6 in for more power

The only trouble we have tbh is cooling struggle to keep the temperatures down

81 - 100 of 124 Posts