Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get asked what "Mini-Me" conversions are alot, so I thought I would write this little article, to clear things up for people.

A mini-me conversion is basically swapping the cylinder head with one that has more power.

Mini-me conversions can apply to only Honda D series engines (which the Honda Civic has, along with the CRX, Logo and Stream). The Honda D series engine ranges from 1.2 litre versions to 1.7, and comes in SOHC (Single Overhead Camshaft) and DOHC (Dual Overhead Camshaft) versions, with some SOHC engines equipped with Honda's VTEC technology.

During a mini-me conversion, only D series engines are swapped. A D series cylinder head is swapped with a more powerful D series head, not any other series of engine. It is most common, to swap a non-VTEC head, with a VTEC head. However simply swapping the two will not increase horsepower alone. This is because the VTEC circuit must be activated and accompanied by a new "high cam" fuel map from the car's ECU (Engine Control Unit).

In summary, mini-me's are popular because they offer a substantial performance upgrade by adding VTEC to the motor, at a relatively low cost.

Reply here if you have any questions.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm sure this can be done with the B-series engines too. There's a video on youtube of an EK9 TypeR with the head from a 2l B-series bolted to it's B-16 block, I think, must look for it...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Alec said:
Really? I didn't know that. Any more info for users would be appreciated.
Nope, I was talking rubbish lol

Here's the clip...

[youtube:12enh8n1]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzWKMob-87M[/youtube:12enh8n1]

It's a B16 head on a B20 block I think, made by a company called Esprit, can't find anything about them unfortunately

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Yeah its the other way around B16 head on a B20 block, they are supposed tio be pretty good and you can pull some fairly good numbers off them i have heard

·
Registered
159 Posts
I found 2 VTEC heads on ebay, both from America. One of them doesn't ship to the UK and the others shipping price is like £80! :( I need a Y8 head and I dunno where to get em.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Edd said:
Yeah its the other way around B16 head on a B20 block, they are supposed tio be pretty good and you can pull some fairly good numbers off them i have heard
yeah they make good figures and more importantly they make good torque which is what you need and not the pub talk bhp ;)

here is some figures courtesy of daz on the crx forum

Example 1 B20b home made in every way shape and form stock B16 head, intake, exhaust, walker OE exhaust system, slightly mapped ecu to cover fueling, the car made close to 180bhp and 150ft/lbs.

Example 2 B20b Home made with stock B16 ecu, manifold with a custom exhaust system, Cold air intake car made 185bhp, 156ft/lbs.

Example 3 B20z GE conversion kit, AEBS inlet manifold, Comptech exhaust, B18 ITR ecu, Tanabe exhaust 8k rev limit, ITR injectors, 196bhp, 159ft/lbs. Now these arent exactly good to go on as all are different dyno's on different days, BUT expect a good increase in torque over a stock B16. And at the end of the day its the Torque that makes the difference NOT the BHP.

Roughly a Basic Built B20b will see around 175/180bhp, and a B20z around 190Bhp with around 145/150ft/lbs.

im in the middle of building one with the b20z bottom end with full GE conversion kit :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi, ime information im new here and im jst tryin to get all the information i can so i can make a proper job of my 97 ej9. i was thinkin of one of these swaps but couldnt find any info. so could u guys tell me what head i would need to swap onto my d14a4 to make it a VTEC and how i would go about doing in? cheers

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
I SOOO want one now.BUT what are they like for relability compared to a k20 for example??

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
0_o gibbs you have a b18 in your Civic why would you want to swap it for a D16z6 with less power?

Or are you talking about a B20 build?

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Yeah was talking about the B20 :rolleyes:

BTW: when did i say i had a B18 in my civic??

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
LOL, nae probs, we all have those moments, just you have more than most lol

1 - 20 of 124 Posts