Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this afternoon I claybarred the bonnet and front wings. Car feels silky smooth now so I guess it must have cleaned the surface. I`m amazed how smooth it feels :)

Basically you first wash the car and chamois it. Then use Meguiars preparation cleaner spray to wash and then dry the panel. Then roll the clay into a ball, and slowly rub it on the surface of the panel, starting from an outside edge and working your way towards the centre, pushing down but not too hard. The clay isn`t meant to roll in your hand when rubbing the surface, you use the clay bar the same way you`d use an eraser on paper, only one long movement as opposed to rubbing

Always pull the clay towards you, as opposed to pushing away. Much easier

Then apply Meguairs wax

Rest of car feels rough as a badger`s arse now so will do the rest tomorrow, followed by pics. Of course you have to feel the difference, you don`t really see it

I recommend it anyway

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
you want to do the whole car, especially where tar builds up the most. you need to keep the surface wet when claying as you just have to rub harder. The spray helps it move eaiser. DONT DROP THE CLAY ON THE FLOOR EITHER!! a panel at a time is best. dont forget the wax is nice!

on a faded car do the clay bar then use a strong polish with orbital then drop down to a less strong polish. then wax the car. will look like mine does then.

i definitely rate the clay as it gives u a smooth surface for polishing and for wax to stick to. also it feels lovely!!

when it rains you get better droplets! and if you use rain-X or similar products you get beading like no other (ive got pictures of this!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
This stuff is great, i've used it may times, gets all the dirt out of the pitting in the paint, make sure you do it once you've washed the car, and dried it. Do one panel at a time, use clay lube or make your own, make sure you do though or you'll damage the paint. Once you have done one panel, roll the clay to use a clean patch again, and do the next panel. once the car is done, wax the whole car. Store the Clay in an air tight container afterwards.

This is just after one panel :eek:

And this is how the back panel looks, without wax or polish.

Raj 8-|

·
Registered
36 Posts
you can do, but you dont need to if you dont want to, the wax if applied properly will protect the paint work from dirt settling in for awhile

I tend to Clay, then use megs paint cleaner, polish and then wax.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
so does the clay not stick all over the paint and get really messy like clay you'd sculpt in school ?? or is it just a bar glided lightly over wet surface and thats all it takes to get rid of rough surfaces :S a nice photo step by step of some 1 doing there car would be great *hint hint* lol

·
Registered
822 Posts
its not that hard to be honest, in the kit you get the spray, and what you do is, you spray an area, and with the bar you go over the sprayed area, and just the wet area until the clay goes over the car nice and smooth,

i could do a how to of this if my brother wants to do his lexus, my civic's not worth it at the moment lol.
but this does show results, especially on black or other dark colour cars, really makes everything reflect like a mirror.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Carl-Brit, yeh it can get abit messy if you dont have enough clay lube in between the clear cote and clay bar and also if its abit hot and sunny. Its nothing like school clay at all though lol Its usually white aswell instead of brown. Anyway the slight mess and smears that comes from claying a car isnt a problem as most detailers and valeters wash the car again after theyv clayed it anyway. I do. Cars ahould be clayed every 2000 - 10'000 miles and claying takes off contaminants such as tar spots, tree sap, orange rail dust, industrial fallout and fly spots. Thats y the paint feels smoother after its been done. ;) Hope that helped.

-- 03 Sep 2009, 19:12 --

As for that step by step u asked 4 - heres a phat Jagg I was claying last month but the clays purple cos its a Dodo Juice 1, not a Megs 1 b4 u get confused :D http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=7746" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
80 Posts
Uh oh...... Sorry to say this man but once youve used it its going to create a really harsh orange peely looking sort of effect on youre laquer although it does start to take off contaminants after a few good rubbs, going overs. The only way you'll get rid of that is by having to machine polish the car afterwords with a G220,A lake country pad and some Menzerna Polish. Trust me, it was the 1st one I bought aswell because I thought it was such a good deal. Turned out to be rubbish though and I panicked I couldnt get the effect off of my customers car! On the other hand the lube is verry good and smells amazing. But dont use it if youre not going to follow the claying process with a machine detail afterwords. Really really sorry to dissapoint u m8 but I just thought Id have to let you know before you learnt the hard way + youre Civic looks sooo nicee.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeh alright then fair enough, I suppose you'll start getting some experience in claying from using that product when you do anyways. + And like you said you'll probably get it resprayed anyways :) Quite a rare colour tho isnt it? I'm not sure if I've ever seen an aqua coloured eg before. Its pretty awesum though.

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
yeah i got into polishing and waxing on this car knowing the car needs a respray i knew i wouldn't cause any damage if i did anything wrong most the pannels are a different shade of the colour where the prev owner had resprayed a few pannels + the wings are crap around the indicators so iv just got 2 new wings to put on im going for a orangy yellow colour atm if i don't change my mind not lambo orange or ford ST but something similar with a carbon spoiler and splitter on the front :cool:

maybee you just have to use a electric polisher with this kit as you say i mean chemical boys don't sell trash it might just need the other processes to give the best finish you allways polish and wax after clay anyway don't you which will bring back the morror finish ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yerr there's no doubt that It'll work cos it will, but cos it's so harsh then yerr it will need polishing by an electric polisher after - I'd go for a Meguiars G220, it's simply just the best around. Then a carnauba hand wax or sealant. Don't forget to let us know how it went m8, and post some pics here of the befores durings and afters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Fair enough Carl, I know exactly what u mean from a load of past experiences. Just so u know though uve gotta apply waxes on the pad on the slowest setting by the way :) Im makin Civik a list of detailing goods on the "How to detail" thread l8ter, u might wanna have a look @ it and I'm gonna try making it as walet friendly as I can ;)

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
yeah will be good to check over your list make a prefered list and a cheap but still good list so every 1 knows what to get depending on there budgets for products : )
iv got a full auto glym collection atm but im going to try out the chemical boys and other detailing products 1's i'v ran out so knowing what is the best stuff is before i test them myself would save some pennies lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hia, done that list now. By the way I've just been able to get hold of a car colours book thats from a bodyshop off my M8. So back onto the respray, your colour doesnt appear to be in the Honda part :eek: but looks more like Mitsubishi Colt Jamaica Blue 9472B B22. So have you had it from new or 2nd hand? As 4 that orange thats not a "lambo or st orange" you want, well Honda Copper Brown 1335B YR63M looks reaaly nice. Its sortof in between dark orange and gold and it has some nice tiny flakes in it too :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
its an original honda colour a few people on here are ripping them apart for spares titan green is it not sure :S im not the first owner but it i sa original colour seen 1 more the same in my town too un modified...
and yeah i really need to check halfrauds colour match book or a bodyshops to find a good colour i want a yellowy orange like a candy style where the yellow will show in the sunny highlighted areas of the bodywork i only know of st and lambo atm though there roughly the type i want lol a friend just had his mini sprayed in a bike colour orange (he told me the name but i forgot) and his looks ace from a distance never seen it up close yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts