Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just bought an MB6 with 86k miles on it. It has FSH but has missed it's 84k mile service, which I plan to have done this week.

The schedule says the cam belt should be changed @ 60k and 120k miles, however looking at the history I can see that mine was last changed @ 46k miles. According to the mileage schedule, this means it won't need doing til 104k miles.

But...the belt was changed in 2003, and the schedule also says that if the car has done less than 12k miles a year then you should get it serviced each year as if it had done that mileage. So the five years since 2003 = 5 x 12k miles = 60k miles on the service schedule, which means the belt is up to be replaced (I hope this makes sense!)

Now, I know a snapped cam belt is able to kill my engine, but how important is it to rush out and get it changed? Should I be concerned that it's time is up, or is mileage more important?

Finally, does anyone know roughly how much it costs to get it done (not at a Honda dealer!)?

Thanks,

Luke

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
get it done! my car had 46k on it when i got it, no sign that it had been changed so £200 has probably saved me £2k of fitting a new engine!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts