Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manual Transmission Oil Change Mk 9 Civic 1.8 petrol

Hi, new member here.

Just wondering if anyone can advise about location of gearbox drain and filler bolts on a 9th Generation (2012) 1.8 petrol Civic, with manual gearbox?

I've performed this on my older 2002 1.6 Civic before and wondered if the procedure is similar.

I think I can see the location of the drain bolt, but not sure of the filler bolt location, and dipstick (if it even has one?)

Any help gratefully received...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I didn't get a reply, but figured this out myself, so if anyone else is thinking of tackling this:

You can access the drain and filler plugs by jacking up and removing the passenger side front wheel. You can then see the drain and filler plugs on the side of the gearbox. Using a long extension bar check that both plugs can be loosened before attempting to drain the fluid! (you don't want to find that you can't re-fill after draining the fluid because the fill plug is jammed, so best to ensure both bolts can be removed BEFORE you continue).

The fill bolt is located a few cm above the drain bolt and requires a 17mm hex socket. The drain bolt was I think 3/8" square drive (I just added a socket converter to the end of my 1/2" extension bar).

I drained out 1.6L of fluid into a measuring jug (that's what came out when it had stopped dripping), so I knew exactly how much to re-fill back into the gearbox.
This was a potentially messy job. I didn't want to remove the large plastic cover under the engine bay, so drilled a hole in it from underneath about 3cm in diameter using a hole saw (directly below the drain bolt) while the car was jacked up. The hole was just big enough to fit the top of a plastic pop bottle through. I had already cut the bottom off the bottle to make a funnel that was the correct size, though if you already have a small funnel then no need to do this! I made sure I cut the bottle so that the top of the 'funnel' was a cm or so below the height of the drain plug.

It was quite a straightforward job once I figured out where the drain and fill bolts were located. There is no dipstick on the manual models.
To refill, I attached a small funnel to a length of rubber hose about a metre long. Make sure the tube is clean and preferably new. Once the bottom end was fed into the filler hole (and the drain plug was back in place and tightened up) I just poured the new MTF3 fluid down the funnel/tube while holding the funnel above the height of the filler hole. You pour until fluid begins to overflow from the filler hole, but if you measured how much was drained out, then it's quite easy to tell when you are about to reach that point.

Always use OEM transmission fluid as recommended by the manufacturer. I used genuine Honda branded MTF3 from Cox Motor Parts, which less than £20 for two 1 litre bottles.

I took my time and the job was probably about an hour, added on to an engine oil and filter change while the car was jacked up. Could have done it again in half that time now I know what to do!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts