Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with manifold (exhaust) tape or wrap. Basically it's supposed to be a heat-proof tape which keeps the heat contained within the manifold, keeping the temperature of the engine bay down and allowing colder air in to the induction.

You can buy it from eBay here.

·
Registered
780 Posts
yeah its shit hot stuff, not really needed on most of our cars, but on turbo motors its a must!!! easy to use, looks 'motorsport' and give the car better performance (you wont see an increase in hp but you will feel the responsiveness)

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yeah most standard ones have a heat shield anyway which would prevent it. I've got a race manifold.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was told this can heat the manifold to extreme temps because the heat cant escape and it can cause major damage. Saying that I have a mate who has his toda wrapped and he hasn't had any bother

·
Registered
780 Posts
if you sat at a traffic light in vtec then yeh the heat will build up too much, but then sitting at 7k will anyway, when trashing your car you will build the heat up, but the engine speed and surounding air speed will get rid of the heat fine

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
hmm not too sure on this stuff i recon the mani might get too hot especially in the summer

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you any evidence of this Edd?? I'd be interested in reading about that before I bought some :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
The reason for wrapping the manifold is not just to keep engine bay temperatures down (almost no motorsport cars use open cone filters in the engine bay so heatsoak isn't an issue) it also keeps heat inside the manifold. Hot manifolds "pull" the exhaust gasses out of the engine more efficiently than cold ones, I'm not sure how the process works but it's all tied in with exhaust pulses and back-pressure). Manifolds are designed to get extremely hot, I can't believe that wrapping one will cause the heat to go above the safe limits for either a cast iron or steel manifold.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some Forum said:
Heat wrapping can shorten the manifold life ,and it puts more heat further down the manifold and exhaust -this can damage the cat , but there is a dual benefit less heat in the engine bay,and more heat in the exhaust-the hotter the exhaust gasses the less dense and better they flow.the further back you can get the heat the better,but some exhausts can crack esp stainless ones.
Also the change in temp of the exhaust gasses effect the pulses travelling down the pipe both the pressure pulse and the sound pulse (speed of sound varies with density)and thus the reflected pulse is also altered this can alter the performance of the complete system.
The only real way to determine benefits is a dyno,but it should improve performance

·
Registered
370 Posts
its all about ceramic coated exhuasts!! the outcomes can vary alot with heat wrap. the main idea is to cool down engine bay but it can help gas flows. consult exh manufacturer if u think theres a prob with the exh. ive seen it look pretty messy aswell so you may prefer the clean shiny stainless effect. good question though

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Sorry to bump this, but has anyone done this and could tell me how much I'll need? Gonna do my stainless mani for the Y8 before I put the engine in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ive always thought that wrap was really to keep the exhaust gases as hot as possible which aids gas flow so that the engine doesnt have to work as hard to get rid of the gases, they exit quicker engine does less work and helps power production. I guess it would also help for keeping induction temps down in the engine bay, but really only for people that arent using a CAI

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I had a look around for myself and got my answers so thought I would update this thread.

You need around 100-120ft if you are doing it in 1" wrap which tends to be easier to get a good neat finish with than 2". Ideally you want to get a ceramic coating spray to put on the cleaned up manifold and over the wrap once its been put on to help protect it from moisture. Looking at around £40-£60 depending what size you go for.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts