Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm looking to lower my car and was just wondering what brands you guys would reconmend for suspension parts? I have seen some pretty cheap kits on ebay but have also heard some really bad things about them (stuff like the cars jumping off the springs and then slamming back down onto them).

Any suggestions, links to products would be good as well!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the thing im not really sure tbh - i guess i just need springs (to replace the stock ones) if i can find ones to drop it by the right height

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
What you want is a full coilover kit including dampers, and unfortunately I would really recommend you go for no less.

I'm going to write a full article on lowering tomorrow, so I'll post the link here once done.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Id say coilys too, but then depends how harsh a ride he wants. I have springs with the stock shockys on mines and it still makes a massive difference the car does not roll at all in the bends.

Also unless your going to track it, you ptobably wont use the coilys to anywhere near their potential on the road

·
Registered
142 Posts
If money's no object go for M&M Honda Coilovers, there made by Ohlins, top class!

Springs: go for Spoon,Tein or Eibach progressives

As long as you don't buy cheap knock-off shite from eBay you'll be fine lol

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i was told yesterday that if you change just the springs, that sometimes it can make the ride worse. As it makes the car jump out of bends and dips.. is this true?

·
Registered
340 Posts
everyone knows coilys are the best option, but theyre also the most expensive, especially compared to just doing springs. just as Terry said, if you're only plodding around town then coilys wont be used to potential, so springs would probably do you. mines only done on springs, and i dont get a lot of body roll at all, and my ride isnt harsh either compared to a lot of other cars i go in, plus im rolling on 18s!

so it really depends on the money you want to spend, but if you do go for the cheaper option of just springs, make sure you get the expensive option of springs if you get me, ie decent brand.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
did you have to roll your arches to get 18's on and lower? How low are you in mm?

Ive got 17's and I wanna go maybe 60mm, but im worried about rubbing.. do you think it will?

This is for an EG btw

·
Registered
116 Posts
Skinny said:
i was told yesterday that if you change just the springs, that sometimes it can make the ride worse. As it makes the car jump out of bends and dips.. is this true?
For a 60mm drop yes it will ruin the ride as the springs wont match the shocks and they wont be have enough travel. Im right on the limit at a 35mm drop on mines they have prob bed to 40mm, any lower and I would need coilys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
im on 17's lowered 70mm (on an eg) and i get really bad uneven tire wear and rubbing, not good! dont be fat and lazy like me, get em rolling good because i go thought tires like i eat bacon sarnies!! which is alot!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not a name I have ever heard of I would pay that bit extra for a recommended brande mate, you will only end up regretting buying a cheaper set

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont want to go spending silly amounts on money on it though thats the thing!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Well if that's the case I would buy a second hand full system rather than new springs for example. That eBay sale looks fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
tein and eibach spring kits for the ep3 only lower by 15-20mm f + r....lots of members have them and they seem to work fine. 30mm+ is a tad much for standard shocks tho I agree.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts