Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so I want to lower my Sport and stiffen it up a bit as it seems to roll quite a lot round bends. Reading Alec's article it sounds like coil overs are the way to go. How much are these going to cost me, and most importantly how hard are they to fit for someone who has no real car experience? Anyone got any links to specific one's I could get that are good.

I also want to get new wheels, most like 18" ones but this'll have to be later as I'll have to save for this. If I lower the car will I need to get the wells rolled? My mates Yaris proper ripped up the side of his tyres after he lowered it and put alloys on. Also where would I be able to get this done if I needed to do it?

Sorry for all the questions, pretty new to this. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
they are very hard to fit if you have no technical expertise. Many garages fit but expect them to not have done the job on a car like yours.

makers like skunk2 are generally better but are an import only part so you would have to go through places like funkypower or searching on ebay.COM. You may also find problems with finding the right part as i dont think the sport was made for the US markets.

most coilovers start at the region of around 400-450 and you could spend over £1000. depending on how much you spend would determine quality and how adjustable they are. you would probably look at spending about 600 without labour to get something that isnt likely to drop off and kill you. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

if you are looking at getting big wheels you will need to lower the tire profile in order to get the same circumference (so that the gearbox, wheel bearings etc isnt put on extra strain and so that your speedo reads the correct speed). big wheels affect the handling and you might find that you dont like it! combine low profile tyres with hard suspension any long trip or go down a bumpy road you might think that you have no suspension!! to roll the wheelarches you might find that it will lessen rubbing but will increase the speed at which the wheelarches rust!

btw "i want to lower my sport and stiffen it up a bit" could be translated from australian to english and you would be talking about your WANG!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate. I'm a bit confused actually. In this post here http://www.hondacivicforum.co.uk/suspension-tyres-wheels/all-about-lowering-t259.html it says the way to go is to upgrade shocks and springs. Is that a coil over kit or is a coil over kit like a better version of this. I mainly want to lower the car to stop it rolling, are there other ways I can do this?

I also think 18" wheels would be to big now. My mate has just got some on his BMW 318i and they look pretty massive, and his cars way bigger then mine. There are loads of sites about that do deals for wheels + tyres but I'm not sure how to work out what tyres I'd need to fit my car.

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Yeah, 18" is pretty big. Cars look better lowered on smaller wheels. And yes coilover kits are the whole thing as I mentioned in my article.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i would recommend either going for some koni shocks and dampers or coilovers! coilovers are basically adjustable springs that adjust the ride height. they normally come with adjustable dampers that can adjust the rate of which the spring moves (no damping the car bounces and too much the car has zero suspension)

i would look at either getting hold of some lightweight wheels of about 16" or if u want styling get some 17" but 18"s will just look ridiculous!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. So something like these would be good? http://www.motorspeed.com/store_main.asp?int_catalog_id=1&int_category_id=0&int_subcategory_id=0&int_page=7&int_product_id=91 and would these actually fit on my car?

There's a new garage and MOT place across the way from me at work now that did some work on our work van for cash the other week and the guy seems alright so I'm probably going to have a word with him today and hopefully he'll be able to help us fit them to the car since I have no idea what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
is your car stiffer already than standard over other civic 1.6's? i'm not sure if just shocks and dampers would be for the other ones and probably not make much of a difference on the sport? they are quite expensive and not adjustable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm afraid I have no idea if my car is already stiffer then standard civic's. Right so if I just decide I'm going to get coilovers as the extra money wouldn't be that much of a problem, do you know of any particularly good ones? And I'm not really sure which one's would fit my car or are all 7th gen civic's pretty much the same?

·
Registered
332 Posts
soz to say but dont go for jamex coilovers, big mistake, tbh coilovers are a waste of money for road use,they are overated!! you can save loadsa money and have a better set up if you buy at set of seperate shocks and springs, they wont be adjustable but will lower and stiffen. what do you think about these for-sale/reduced-100-multifit-alloys-t951.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; buying these will also save you loadsa money, and help me buy more parts :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts