Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

My brother has a 1997 Honda Civic 1.5 VTEC.

He lost the keys at a music festival a couple of weeks back and his only spare set were in the car! Anyway he ended up breaking the window to get to the spare keys. However the car wouldnt start due to the spare not having the immobiliser coding. Next he joined the RAC (who were luckily at the festival) and had his car towed to Honda. They said it would be £130 odd for a new remote and key or £30 for just the key. He went for just the key and now after a 2 week wait he's had Honda call him to say that they cant code the key because of something to do with the immobiliser. They need to order a new immobiliser etc at a cost of over £400. Given the value of the car its just not worth paying this.

So.. is it possible to get an immobiliser from a breaker and use this in place? If so is it a case of swapping the ECU or similar and then just taping the key from the donor vehicle to the ECU? This way the ignition and so on dont have to be changed?

Or is there some way of by passing the current immobiliser? I understand this probably isnt best posted on a public board so please PM me!

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
you will need the keys that go with the immobiliser. i'm sure if you removed the immobiliser/bypassed the wires to fool it into thinking its "unlocked" (will need wiring diagrams for this)

·
Registered
240 Posts
take the immobilizer out or take it to another garage, i dont see what the problem is i code keys all the time at work and i dont even work at a dealership. Id say they are probably trying to rip you off

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok I'll say to him to try another garage. Can anyone code a key or will it need to be somewhere with certain facilities?

Failing that does anyone know where to get the wiring diagrams? Haynes manual maybe?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts