Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone..

Got a slight problem that i hope someone here can give me some insight to.

Got a 2003 Civic Type R 96k miles 100% unmodified that has 2 issues which could be separate or related.

The first is a knocking from the suspension going over bumps or rough roads. Noise seems louder on the right hand side but comes from both sides. Had it on a ramp and everything is tight, no play i the usual suspect items.

The 2nd issue is, with the car stationary and moving the steering wheel left to right i hear a knocking. With the car up in the air, or driving there is no knocking noise. Had it in the garage yesterday and if pull the inner tie rod up where it joins the steering rack and move the wheel the knocking goes.

My friends at the garage rekon its the rack, Honda says its unlikely to be the rack and to check the top mounts, another garage i know rekon its the inner tie rods or the top mounts, again unlikely to be the rack.

Any one else has experience in this or similar faults and fixed it

Obv this can be a pricey job so wanted to see what people here say first before i give the go ahead to start replacing parts.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, gotta similar issue with my 95 Civic, have checked inner and outer tie rods and they seem fine, play seems to be inside steering box, was trying to locate a good second hand one to fix issue and gonna replace bushes, did you sort your issue out?

Got a slight problem that i hope someone here can give me some insight to.

Got a 2003 Civic Type R 96k miles 100% unmodified that has 2 issues which could be separate or related.

The first is a knocking from the suspension going over bumps or rough roads. Noise seems louder on the right hand side but comes from both sides. Had it on a ramp and everything is tight, no play i the usual suspect items.

The 2nd issue is, with the car stationary and moving the steering wheel left to right i hear a knocking. With the car up in the air, or driving there is no knocking noise. Had it in the garage yesterday and if pull the inner tie rod up where it joins the steering rack and move the wheel the knocking goes.

My friends at the garage rekon its the rack, Honda says its unlikely to be the rack and to check the top mounts, another garage i know rekon its the inner tie rods or the top mounts, again unlikely to be the rack.

Any one else has experience in this or similar faults and fixed it

Obv this can be a pricey job so wanted to see what people here say first before i give the go ahead to start replacing parts.

Any help appreciated. Thanks[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, I have a 2005 Civic diesel. I have noticed a ''rumble'' from the engine bay while travelling over cobblestone roads or rough roads in general since I got the car about two years ago. This happened mostly at low speed (say less than 30mph). So I began to investigate.

I had a good mechanic look into the matter, but he could not pinpoint the problem at first. So I began to think about it and I did some tests while driving as time moved on. The first thing that I noticed was that this noise disappeared if i touched the brakes very lightly, which was a good clue to begin with.

As a result, I took out the front brakes' shims, cleaned them and bent them to hold the brake pads a bit tighter. I noticed a slight improvement. More or less at the same time, my car went in for a MOT inspection, and I was given an advisory: the rubbers on the lower track arms were perished.

Consequently, I sent my car in to have the lower track arms replaced - they appeared a bit corroded also, and I did not wish to compromise safety. To my surprise, my car is quiet now. As a bonus, the steering feels more accurate, sharp and responsive.

Note that there are rubbers and bushes on these lower track arms. The bushes will inevitably deteriorate over time. I suspect that these bushes were the culprit more than anything else. The cost to replace these arms, including labour, VAT and wheel alignment came to £273.

Good luck fellas, and please let me know if you have had similar experiences.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts