Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

Here is my way for a simple wash and dry. As i keep saying, everybody has there own ways, hints, tips ect.

First time ive done something like this and remember - its just a "wash & dry!" Hopefully be able to get other threads up on polishing, waxing, engine bay and so on.......

so here we go

1. What you'll need is shampoo, mitt, hose, bucket, sponge, tyre gel and drying towel. (probably forgotten something)

2. put a reasonable amount of shampoo in the bucket and use hot water and fill it up 3/4 up the way of the bucket. Fill the rest using the hose (quite powerful) as this will get it more soapy.

3. Open filler cap on the car and rise the car thouroghly including filler cap.

4. Using a mitt (as this doesnt give you swirl marks) apply the goods from the bucket onto the car, washing 1 panel at a time, including the windows. Washing it one panel at a time will leave you with absaloute no water/soap marks as this happens really quick especially the windows.

5. Once all blasted with hose, washed and blasted with hose again, give the rims a blast and using a spongs, give them a good clean, rinsing the soap off one wheel after another.

6. once the wheels have been cleaned and blasted over with the hose, give the whole car another very quick blast with the hose, leaving everything dripping.

7. Using your drying towel, remove all water form the car then using an older drying towel, dry the wheels thoroughly, leaving you a very shiny and dry car and rims!

8. using a manky old towel, dry the side of your tyres so you can apply some tyre gel.

think thats it for a very quick wash & dry - See pictures below.
As i said, its the first time ive done so any commects are welcome as ill hopefully be getting more threads up on how to!

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
nice :) i just bought some meguiares shampoo and conditioner, polish and wax so gonna give it good clean tomorrow, never waxed a car before so hope all goes well lol gonna give the engine a spray with the auto glym engine cleaner too

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice one mate! Polish then wax mind! the handiest thing ever are microfibre towels! amazing things mate! if you dont already have these, get them!
any problems, gimme a shout man! :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
yeah bought some today with the engine cleaner :) just wondering when im cleaning my engine bay will hosing it down mess my v2 kit up or will it be ok if it gets sprayed with water?

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you've got to watch that mate! put a tesco bag around the filter or sumin! dont want to be sucking up any cold water bud! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
ahh yes Kieth you do things differently to me :D still good though, i don't remove my rims the rear side isn't painted white so i don't bother lol loving the pics especially the hose spraying car 1's rofl
i'v just washed it again today same as this a quick wash/dry and trim gel ready for the car meet tonight if i go ;)

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha i never usually take the wheels off but ive wanted to do it for ages as it does need done now and again!
pictures hosing the car - LOL - thought ud like that! lol
now this is up, wanna make a polishing one up in the next few weeks! hope this was helpful in anyway to anybody tho! ;)

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Lovin that shaggy mitt lmao! Nice shiney job that mate ;)

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
I had something similar but it fell apart after about 5 washes... where did you get that shaggy bad boy from?

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
ok hers mine with a few pics from washing my civic and the classic mini at the same time both are allready waxed and polished this guide is just for the wash stage ;)
basically start with a hose down of the car to make sure there isn't any grit or other debris that will potentially scrath your car when you start to wash it

you'll notice how well the water beeds off the windows and bodywork thanks to the autoglym fastglass and meguires canuba wax :D
now use your alloy wheel cleaner and do your wheels followed by a rinse off (doing them first stops you splashing rim cleaner/brake dust all over your car later)
now take your shampoo in this case i use autoglym bodywork shampoo with rust inhibitors drop a nice splodge in your bucket (about 4-5 table spoons roughly) make sure its been rinced out of any dirt from a previous wash first and add warm water to the shampoo.

use your good wash mit to work on the roof and hood first as these are your main areas you don't want to get scratches then work down from the roof to the sides of the car only do down to your doors plastic trims with this wash mit and don't do the rear bumper or front as these areas get extra dirty... Get out a second wash mit (i forgot to get a pic of this 1 it basically looks like a sponge but its a microfibre with dreadlocks all over it these are the best type to pickup dirt and not scratch your paint use this to do all along the bottom of the doors and bumpers 1's you have done the whole car Rinse it off again.

1's most the water has ran off take your drying towel im using a meguires microfibre here and run it from the front of your roof to the back in straight lines repeatedly untill dry

do the same for the hood from the windscreen down to the front in straight lines (doing these areas first so you don't get any water marks where it dries on the main surfaces ring out your towel when you need to and carry on doing the rest of the car gliding the towel from the front of the car to the back on each pannel for the front and rear windows go from top to bottom, 1's its all dry take out another microfiber towel to use with glass cleaner only, spray all the glass (with which ever product you use) and dry them off the same way you dried the car now you should get a really nice beed like in the first pics :) this is all you need to do for a car wash for as many weeks as you want untill the water dosen't beed off the car as good i usually do this 3-4 weeks before applying wax again then do a full wash polish and wax session

there you go Keith thats basically my order of doing things i just didn't get many pictures was to busy washing 2 cars well one and a half lol!!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I see you guys both use a mitt. are they that good? I use a sponge but do tend to get swirls that are noticeable after the car is dry. Also, are these drying towels really good? I usually just use an old fashioned leather chamois but this takes way too long!!

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
sponges are a no go they ruin your paint and if you get a bit of grit stuck under a sponge your fcuked withthe mitts they trap the grit in them and away from the surface of it they are FTW as are the drying towels they dry the car super fast and streak free

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
Loving the Hose Cam Carl lmao!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts