Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1999 Honda Civic (5 door MB Type), and have ownded the car for 3 years now after previously owning a 1998 Honda Civic Coupe which I wanted to do a lot of stuff to, but wrote it off in an unfortunate accident. I then bought a the 5 door Civic which i can only describe as a 'reliable family chariot'. I have contemplated selling it but as this moderl is renowned for its bullet proof reliability, I am going to hang on to it until the engine gives way (like that will ever happen).

I came across this forum via Google and am glad I found it as i am looking to exchange ideas for my car with fellow Honda Civic enthusiasts. It is a ragther dull car to look at but given the right mods it can be transformed into an attractive package. The only mods I have done to the car at the moment is to fit a set of 17 inch Kei Racing RSS wheels wrapped in Kumho Ecsta tyres and I really cannot complain as the Kumho's offer impressive grip. I have bought a bodykit for the car but as funds are limited at the moment, it is in storage at the moment. I have also installed a pair of Kenwood component speakers, a Pioneer head unit and an Alpine subwoofer.

If there are any other MB owners out there, I would like to hear from you as I am looking for ideas of what I can do to the car and what parts are available. I live in Glasgow, and I douby that I will ever buy anything other than a Honda.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Rainbow Warrior, I'm an MB owner too... as for suggestions about what to do with it... fill it with petrol and keep it clean.
MB's are not JDM cars and you'll struggle to find much to customise it with.
On the bright side, you're right, they're practically bulletproof. I dunno if you have noticed if the fist two speeds of your fan heater still work or not - someone pointed that out to me the other day. Apparently that's the most common fault you'll find on them and it's cheap as chips to fix - if it bothers you. but I digress.
My MB has been de badged, has a customised gear knob (Check my post in the interiors section) and .... erm... that's about it so far. I've got a scrap grille coming from ebay that I'm going to spray to match the body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey FreakinRover,

Nice to meet you. I had that heater fault too and got it fixed for next to nothing. Any ideas on what parts are actually available for it with regards to suspension, engine accessories, brakes etc. How did you do the de-badged grille? Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was on about the badges on the back (The Honda badge is still there cos I cant be arsed filling the 2 little holes it will leave), I don't really see a way round changing the grille much, it comes in 3 parts and I don't think it would be too easy to go chopping up the black section without it looking crap.When my spare arrives I'll dismantle it, leave the H as it is and spray the grill and the chrome surround to match the body colour. I did think about cutting out the grille and replacing it with mesh but looking at it it seems like too much hard work to me.

I have to admit I don't know much about technical stuff but I do know you're probably going to find a lot of useful bits if you find a rover 400 to dismantle (Hence my user name).Tell people you have a D15 (I assume - well mines a 1.5 vtec) engine and they'll know what you're on about.

There's plenty of geeks with tweaks here but I'm happy just to keep mine running. I might even replace the air filter with an induction doodah one day if I'm feeling flush, but that would have very little effect on the performance on it's own- it does save you buying a new air filter every time you're due a service tho and it makes your engine sound a bit meatier.

Have fun playing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi, welcome. I think we should start our own 5-door section at this rate!
Its true there is not as much stuff about as for the JDM civics, look out for parts from the VTI-s though if you find any (superior brakes, suspension etc as well as the mighty B18c4 lump). Rovers as mentioned also good for general spares.
Put a K&N panel filter in mine- cheaper in the long run and insurance friendly :cool:
Posted this link somewhere else but Koni make stuff for MA/B's - http://www.potn.co.uk/honda_c1473_3206_33511_33518.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also trying to find some better quality or poly bushes but no luck yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Hickster

Definately agree. The MB 5 door has some potential with carefully selected mods. I guess one route for this is interchangeable parts from Rover and other Hondas.

Cheers,

Rainbow Warrior

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah Honda/Rover blatantly ripped of the Evo6 generation Lancer with the styling which is not a bad starting point + indestructable Honda engines + low weight for a 5 door hatch + the build quality is not really that bad neither is the handling. Ok they are a bit noisy and the interior has a slightly geriatric slant and Rover flogged the platform for at least 10 years :eek: but I like them.

*awaits abuse from JDM crew :) *

1 - 10 of 10 Posts