Honda Civic Forums banner

Just bought a Honda Civic 1.5 and..

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  JimmyTech 
#1 ·
Car: Honda Civic 1.5 LSi 1994 M reg
The previous owner did not properly care for it so I'm covering all the general servicing now (either myself if I am able to do it or by an official garage)

The owners manual said to do the following general service, personal priority orientated first:

• Engine oil and filter, needs replacing
• Air cleaner element, needs replacing
• Transmission oil, needs replacing
• Front differential oil, needs replacing
• Spark plugs, needs replacing
• Timing belt (and balancer belt), needs replacing
• -- Cam belt & fan belt (If not already listed above)
• Engine coolant, needs replacing
• Fuel filter (including aux, filter for carburettor type), needs replacing
• Brake fluid (including ABS), needs replacing
• ABS high pressure hose (equipped for ABS), needs replacing

Issues that are currently ongoing with details (priority first):

• Weird grungy noise whilst car in motion, sounds a bit like a tyre grinding against a piece of plastic but a friend mentioned something about a cv joint/bearing? [Detail: Whilst in motion & in gear the noise can be heard both during speeding up & slowing down. However, when it is not in gear whilst travelling, it is inaudible]. (which part could it be?)
• Ability to take key out of ignition at any state, even 'ON'. (How to fix?)
• Passengers electric window struggling to move whilst about mid way then speeds up when almost at top. (How to fix?)
• Steering wheel not standard as second to previous owner replaced (momo steering wheel). Upon turning, it sounds like the ball bearings are grinding but still smooth motion. (How to fix?)
• Lights illuminating the temperature & fan settings sometimes turns off permanently when changing the fan speed/fan position then turns on again if you change it again. (How to fix? Fuse?)
• Lock to both passenger & drivers door a bit stiff. (How to loosen up?)
• Temperature setting on dashboard stiff to move. (How to loosen up?)

Issues that I feel confident in fixing myself:

• Front lights are both dim, full beam is OK but not very bright - Bulb replacement?
• Interior light not working. - Bulb replacement?

Regards,

Joshua.

See less See more
#2 ·
welcome!!!
so u feel confident changing light bulbs lol!?

alot of the stuff in there you could really get away with doing yourself, i would say just set aside 3 or 4 hours some day with a friend who knows even just general car maintenance and get as much done yourself as possible, things like timing belts etc you would want a garage to do if your not experienced!! and you dont really want to be messing around with the breaking system, as thats when things start getting dangerous!

just use a bit of wd40 on the doors etc and you will save so much money changing filters and doing oils and fluid changes yourself!!!

get yourself a haynes manual from halfords, it shows step-by-steps of everything you would ever need to do on your car, and you will soon realise its not all as hard as you think

#3 ·
josh897 said:
welcome!!!
so u feel confident changing light bulbs lol!?

alot of the stuff in there you could really get away with doing yourself, i would say just set aside 3 or 4 hours some day with a friend who knows even just general car maintenance and get as much done yourself as possible, things like timing belts etc you would want a garage to do if your not experienced!! and you dont really want to be messing around with the breaking system, as thats when things start getting dangerous!

just use a bit of wd40 on the doors etc and you will save so much money changing filters and doing oils and fluid changes yourself!!!

get yourself a haynes manual from halfords, it shows step-by-steps of everything you would ever need to do on your car, and you will soon realise its not all as hard as you think
I'm confident in doing a few things myself as I can look in the Owners Manual, however just to point out - it mentioned to tighten up the oil drain bolt with a new washer to 45 N•m /4.5 kg-m / 33 lb-ft - However I do not have this kind of equipment to measure the pressure to tighten up the bolt and would like to buy one if they are not too expensive.

#4 ·
i simply just tightened it back up with a wrench but im assuming they give you those guidelines to prevent you from damaging the bolts of the threads by over tightening!!
you would simply use a torque wrench to tighten it up if you wish to do it corrently!! probably get one off ebay for about 10-15 quid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.