Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’ve just found your site while trying to search for a repair manual for my 1991 J reg 1.4 3 door Civic. Twin carb version (if that helps)

As I cant find a manual for this age you fellas may be able to help.

I have two major problems that have recently developed with the car. There is a slim possibility that they are linked.

The first, and more minor problem, is very individual to this car. The immobiliser that was fitted by the supplying dealer (no details or manual) has decided that it will only disarm when it feels like it. It is a type where you have to stuff an electronic key/chip into a slot on the dash. I want to remove the offending unit but I need a wiring diagram for the car. In the meantime I have been able to make a temporary by pass circuit (some anti theft device eh?)

The second is more baffling.
The engine will not tick over at less than 20,000 revs. When the tick over is turned up it starts fine. It accelerates as good as it used to but when running on a neutral throttle setting (cruising) it “haunts” like it is running very rich.
My first suspicion was that I had knocked an air pipe off the carb system or pipe had cracked. But I can’t find anything amiss. The choke goes off ok, the air filter is clean so are the plugs and the HT leads appear fine (It does not sound like an electrical fault)

Has anyone had a similar problem or could you point me in the next logical direction.

Thanks in anticipation and please be kind to me as I am new here

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Paul :)
Yeah that is on my list of things to do. I was just hoping that someone has a simpler miracle cure that does not involve such a faff. Nothing is ever simple though is it. :neutral:
Have you any Ideas which Haynes manual (or similar) is the best for this model? The only ones I can find are for up to 1989 or the next gen from 1992. :(

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
nothing is ever simple as for manuals i personally think haynes are only good for wheel chocks or saving your nees when your working :)
im sure there is some reasonable manuals out there but theres nothing like first hand experience
sorry could not be more help on the manual front i dont use them i have been in the trade to long to need them
but in saying that still learning every day
cheers

try this someone just posted it worth a go
http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I stripped and cleaned the carbs. Nice and clean inside. I don’t have access to compressed air so I gave em a blow job (OOer Missis) crossed my fingers and put it all back together. Same fault Doh! :neutral:
However while de-grunging the outside of the carbs I discovered a pair of solenoids. I tested their operation but pondered over their purpose.
:idea: Thinking back to a possible link with the immobiliser problem I gave them a test while the engine was running and found no power feed. Running a supply to them gave me an instant cure. WUHOO! :razz:
I now have them permanently energised with the ignition and everything appears to run fine. :biggrin:
So what do the solenoids do and what drives them? :question:
Any thoughts anyone?
<3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts