Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mate and me went to see one but the seller didnt have the red key, he had the two black ones, should he leave it (the car) or is it a good haggling point. As I think (and so does he) the red one is about £100+ from a dealer would this be right,thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
the red one is the master which doesn't start engine, it just opens the doors, it is used as master to make copies of keys from, i didnt think you could get the red keys from honda, i would go and ask honda if they can definatly make you one, if you havn't already. otherwise it may be a new ecu if you loose both keys

·
Registered
211 Posts
loads of my mates have brought honda's without the red key,,, yes the red key is more appealing but if the car is on a good offer why not ???

·
Registered
211 Posts
i got a red key it has never left the packet (its still sealed) i have no use for it soo i wouldnt go fishing for civic's that have them... if the civic is going for a good price in good condition... then fook the key your getting a spare key anyways

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, forgot to say, its a 98 Civic 1.4 we went to see, a non sporty model, he (my mate) asked the guy if he had the red one. The guy said no and didnt seem to know what he meant when he explained (or a good liar) maybe with that model and year you dont get one.

Yes overall it was in very good shape, with a just a small patch of rust on the o/s back arch, he might buy it I dont know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I phoned Honda and the guy said it should have one, from 96'-98' all models had them, after that they done away with them. So it should have one, I know you only need it if you loose a black one, but for a new red one including the key itself, immob and programming its £250-80.

Its good barganing point when buying...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a 98 and according to Honda it should have one, all models from 96-00 have one, then they did away with it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Engineer said:
Its a 98 and according to Honda it should have one, all models from 96-00 have one, then they did away with it.
Not true, Ive had my civic since new in 2000 ''W'' reg , so a facelift and it came with no red key from new just two black ones. I'm a honda dealer (motorcycles) and when we make new keys we only require one of the black keys to reprogram H.I.S.S blanks....it could be diffrent for cars but i doubt it.

If not it only requires the immobliser to be disengaged on the ECU...(does require a chip or a honda programer)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
the honda book i got with my vti-s said that the red key is used for making copies and used by the enginers. if you start the car with it all other keys wont work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
uh oh im in the poop then no red key and only one set :eek:

Last ditch attempt i've written to the last keeper on the log book as he only traded the car in a few weeks ago so might be lucky!

Failing that i know a chap called Panic Keys who used to do wonders with Fiats and Ford with no red keys see what he can do for me. :confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dad still has a red key for an Accord he sold years ago wonder if that'll work :redface: lol

Edit:

Hey, well never thought that would work, Prev owners just emailed me! He traded the car in with spare key and red key! Just a case of tracking them down now as the car went into a honda dealer, Brought by a trade dealer then sold to a small forecourt where i got it from. This could be fun :rolleyes:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok here are some facts,officially you can only make key copies off the red key(if the car came with one from new).If you buy a car which should have a red key but doesn`t and you want to get a red key you will have to buy a whole set of blank keys and a new ecu what honda will match to you new set of keys.There are no reasons for everyday use to have a red key,I have spoken to my local Honda dealer and they say they never use them other than cutting/programming keys.If you want a spare key cut and you don`t have a red key there are other options.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you lose all your keys and you don't have the red 1 it cost £283 to replace cause they have to fit a new immoboliser i'm having to get a new set as the stupid chip came out of the damn key!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts