Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i have a son who is thinking about buying a civic 1.8i vtec 5 door we have seen some good used ones about a yr old in his price range.
so the questions,will it take been driven hard as he is 21 and a petrol head ??
he has a bravo 1.8 and she is showing signs of ware so time to change, we have never had honda before so wondering if the engine can stand the course of begin pushed hard ??
we need the 4 doors so which would you recommend??
and how much should we pay say for a yr or 2 old??
any advice would be great

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
the engine is unbreakable karen. As long as he keeps an eye on the oil level and doesnt drop too high a gear, he will have lots of fun. Although if I were you, i`d get him to opt for the 2.2 diesel civic. Feels much faster than the 1.8 petrol, and of course better economy
as for prices, http://whatcar.co.uk/valuations.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oh and welcome to hcf

·
Registered
680 Posts
Welcome, hondas are widely known for being reliable provided they are looked after. Much more reliable than most european/american rivals. VTEC in performance hondas is designed for higher revving and or "harder" driving so its to be expected. If i had to choose a new civic(not keen on the shape) i would however opt for the diesel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for that when did they bring this shape in and is the older shape as good in engine?

·
Registered
224 Posts
hondas are an awsome build quality and can be driven very hard if well looked after and oil topped up regualary! erm if your looking for a nice 5 door id recommend the accord type r,a very exceptional car my mate owns one and has impressive power for those nice drives out and handles superbly for its size! gives my ctr a good run thats for sure! plus you can grab them cheap enough now,alot of car for your money imo!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, it depends the 1.8vti is very quick. you should check out ebay, there all ways somthing for someone for the right price, but buying the car is one thing but have you checked the insurance ? personaly id would get a vtis 4door my mate has got one and it is very comfortable and realiable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok been googling. cant find an mb range pic , and how old is accord type r ?

insurance for him on a new one is £2500 thats ok and budget for car max £10000.

he is a computer programmer so can afford to splash out LUCK DAB !!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
lol im guessing you photoshop the Alloys, yeh thats fine for 10k you have alot of options :D id got few in mind but this site not allowing me to post pics :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
glad i am not the only one that has problem with forums, photos are most helpfull to a novice like me i will have to put up what i drive when i work out how too LOL

·
Registered
340 Posts
If youve got ten grand to spens on a car theres much better out there than an mb6 (no offence to those that have them, theyre great i know, but 10k??)

Im with lee, look out for a mint Accord Type R. They go up to 2002, but if you can stil find them with as little as 30,000 miles on and still in ultra mint condition, and i can garauntee your son will love it. They are massively underrated - 212bhp from a standard 2.2 litre VTEC, full recaro interior and LSD. Awesome cars.

Sign up to http://www.accordr.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have a look in the for sale section, a general browse around and stick up a similar thread to this. Good luck :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
i go with EG sean iver seen them about and they are awesome but never sat in one :( so if you do decide to get one dont forget to give me a go :p

nice how long you had this car for ,

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
if your looking at the newest civic i'd probably say go for the previous gen civic. 55 plate type s is a good buy, 2 litre 160hp. comes with all the toys (some with sat nav, all with cruise control). are comfy, quite fast but more of a grown up car. will do quite a lot of miles to a tank on a long run too. they look like:

basic one:

with 17" wheels (pictured on a sport):

they are group 11 insurance which isnt bad for a 2 litre.
go on honda.co.uk and click cars then go to the used car search. will give you enough options to find one in your area. if you look for around 40k they will not have had timing belt done but will have done enough miles for any problems to have happened (which is normally none!). they will easily do another 100k as long as they are looked after!

·
Registered
224 Posts
didnt know the sport had 160bhp :- im sure they got slated for only having a 106 o_O they are sluggish compared to other cars for that price range >:eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts