Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

1999 honda civic 1.4 Ls 5 door

My IR ( infra Red) remote key fob has been lost for the central locking. I have managed to obtain another one of another honda does anyone know how to reprogram these IR (Infa Red ) ones? I have instructions for reprograming the later wireless ones but not the IR ones.

Main dealers want £80+ for a new key fob plus Approx £150 to look on the central locking control unit to get the code number which they tell me is behind the dash board? i thought the central locking unit was in the door???

I would assume its better to obtain a complete control unit and matched key fob from a scrap yard? if u can find out where exactly on the car it is located lol

Any help would be appreciated

Dave BHX

·
Registered
780 Posts
there are so many units behind the dash, i removed most of mine on my ek and it still runs lol

best bet is to get the ones out of a scrappy at that price, but as to which one is the actual unit you will prob have to go to honda to find that one out.

welcome aboard

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Welcome Dave. Tricky problem you're having. I doubt you would be able to reprogram it yourself, Honda dealers have the kit for that.

As Hugh said, go to a scrappy to find the parts you need.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i got one off ebay for £10 posted and went to my honda garage with £30 quote and they did it for me. the IR ones they can do easily but the radio ones they cant do so easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Stug45 for your reply

But i have asked 3 main local Honda dealers in my area (Brmingham @ Coventry) and they have told me the opposite mate. :(

They told me the IR (infra Red) ones cannot be done but the wireless ones can be done. :(

The IR ones you point the key fob to the drivers mirror
The wirless ones you point the key fob to the stereo radio.

For wireless they use this method:

Step 1: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 2: Push remote lock button
Step 3: Turn ignition switch off

Step 4: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 5: Push remote lock button
Step 6: Turn ignition switch off

Step 7: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 8: Push remote lock button
Step 9: Turn ignition switch off

Step 10: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 11: Push remote lock button
Step 12: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 13: Within 8 seconds, press the 1st remote lock button
Step 14: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 15: Repeat steps 13-14 for each additional remote.

Step 16: Turn ignition OFF and remove key.
Step 17: Confirm all remotes work.

1. Open the driver's door.
2. Push the driver's power door lock switch to the unlock position and hold it. (Continue to hold the switch during this procedure.)
3. Insert the key into the ignition switch, then remove it. Repeat this four more times (five times total) within 10 seconds. (You must complete steps 3 and 4 within 10 seconds or the system will exit the programming mode.)
4. Insert the key into the ignition switch. After you insert the key, make sure the power door locks cycle to confirm that the system is in the programming mode.
5. Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the transmitter. All the power door locks (except the driver's door) should cycle to confirm that the system accepted the transmitter's code.
6. To program a second transmitter, press its "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button within 10 seconds of programming the first transmitter.
7. Release the master power door lock switch to exit the programming mode.

The following are instructions on how to program your remote transmitters for keyless entry. This document provides details for programming a 2000 Honda Civic remote. The same procedure should work for all of the following:

1998 - 2002 Honda Accord
1999 - 2004 Honda Civic
1997 - 2004 Honda CRV
2003 - 2004 Honda Element

So if you do know what method they used for the Infra red type, i would be very greatful mate

Cheers

DaveBHX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Stug45

Was that Stratford London or Stratford up on avon???

it is different to the type i had i have attached a pic

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Stug45

Thanks for the info

I have had a drive up to Avonvale Honda at Stratford after they told me on the phone that they could reprogram the keyfob
only to find when i got there that they cannot >:eek:

Apparantly, they can reprogram your type of keyfob for £40 but the sort i have cannot be reprogramed. I have to order a replacement fob at £80. they also need to look at the receiver unit to get the code of it (which they want £75 hr to look at it, to physically read the number of the label)

They wouldnt even tell me where the receiver unit was located, as i sugested that i take the unit outta my car and get the number of it and then drive up to them with the number.saving me at least £75

So if anyone knows where the receiver unit is located for the central locking please let me know ( PS the one in the door is for the electric windows)

Cheers

Dave BHX

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Stug 45

Yeah thats what they said, It i deff a IR one but, i think the two button one is made by Valeo. However i think the type two sort can be reprogrammed.

I have looked in the hayes manual cannot find any mention of the location of the Central Locking control unit.. Nor can i find any mention of the Immobilizer box, how ever i have managed to find the immolbilizer box. Which is directly under the steering wheel next to the fuse box. ( box is approx 2" x 3" and has two plugs on it)

I Just need to find the 'Door locking control box ' now as the box in the door is marked windows so i assume just for the electric windows.

Alec, i have put the programming in the DIY section as requested mate

Cheers guys

Dave BHX

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,
Statstone Honda Low Lane in Horsforth Leeds , just quote me £284.95 fItted Honda Happiness price. For a new Valeo INF remote. Remote £229.14
Labour £ 55.81
£284.95
apparently they have to access a magic box (Control Unit) under the steering column. In order to program a new remote.
Parts man new exactly what he was talking about and gave me the price after 2 visits.

The Parts Man at Honda Canal Road Bradford, Looked down his nose at me as if to say, I am having to find you parts for your 8 year old Honda, He couldnt be bothered to find out for me and just said he thought it had been discontinued and no longer available.
I own 1.8 vti Aerodeck DOHC YEAR 2000 W reg

·
Registered
99 Posts
would you have to match a fob to the control unit or just the receiver above the mirror?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys. Having problems here as well. I can open the doors with the remote but I can't lock it, have to use the key. Was thinking to pop in some scrap yard and find the key fob and receiver, what you guys think? It can work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can dig up part numbers etc, if you require them, if your Dealer is as stuck up as mine in Bradford, Unfortunately Low Lane Leeds has now closed. Bradford even manage to put a tyre on the wheel the wrong way round, spotted by my local mechanic, when I said to him it is pulling over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another day I went to Honda dealer and I was told that they need to order a new remote and then to find some code somewhere around the mirror and then to make it work. The cost was around £300.00
As far I understood, the code can be found in that thing, receiver I think, near the mirror, that’s why I was wondering to get the receiver and the fob from any scrap yard in a hope that could work.
I’m not in a mood to spend that much so I guess I have to stick with the idea of using the keys

1 - 20 of 73 Posts