Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyhone know any small tips or hints for getting cheaper insurance? ( i am only 19 and a straighforward insurance for my ek3 1.5 is £2800.00 a year,, bump!! )

this maybe usefull for other drivers aswell.. as i started ill give one aswell :D

apperantly saying that you will travel only for 8 miles a day (taking someone to school and back) will make it somewhat cheaper...

·
Registered
45 Posts
2800 blimey. TPFT is cheaper than Fully Comp - but if you have an accident could back fire on you.
Would it be best to go as a named driver instead of the main driver?
Are you stil able to do Pass Plus - as that give you 1 year no claims but you have to do the Pass Plus soon after you passed your test i think.
Looks like you have an after market exhaust - take that off and you could save yourself a bit as an exhaust is classed as increasing the power - insures dont like power mods.
Unless you're with Adrian Flux when you can do pretty much anything you like whenever you like. But there may be an age restriction before they even give you a quote.
Is it garaged or parked on the drive? insurance is then cheaper compared with parking on the road.
Get an alarm. Might be worth the investment if it lowers your insurance, but check with your insurance company first to see if it is worth your while.
And finally, dont have an accident. Ever.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
thats just silly not having insurance tbh, crossed my mind at first before i passed my test but just imagine if you ever had sum idiot crash into you who was not insured!!
saying that my insurance is kinda invalid atm anyways as i have a full exhaust system, its lowered and has an induction kit all of which they dont know about, it could all be put bak to standard within no time if i was to ever have a slight bump with another driver but if it was a write off and in a circumstance where they insurance sent somebody out to check my car i would be fucked!! i just dont have the money atm to have it all claimed for but as soon as i will be getting insurance with all mods aclaimed for

insurance pretty much all depends on obviously the car you are driving, then your age and your no claims bonus, yes having little changes like lying about your job or where you park it may bring it down by like 50 quid or so but thats it to be honest

n btw sorry ppl, insurance companys have realised over the last 10 years or so, that hondas are very tunable cars and are generally fast compared to european cars of the same size engine, so in their eyes when a 19 year old with no claims bonus is asking for insurance on an civic vti etc they kinda know your not the type of person to only be using your car for driving to work and back and to the nursing homes to do voluntary work lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well in other words i am fucked,,, well lookin to be a nammed driver its gonna be arround £1,800 which is better than 3000 pounds.... damn insurance !!!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
thats what i paid on my first years insurance for my 1.4

that just insurance for you, dropped to 1100 this year for me though, probably go down to 700-800 next year but it will have a bigger engine in it by then so i will be screwed for money again lol

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I paid about £750 on my EK3 at 17...

I pay £650ish on the 316 at 20.

The CRX is costing me £800 to insure which isn't bad concidering the modifications that I have done (all of which are declared).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Buy a small engined car, build up some NCB in your own name.. there is no magic trick for finding cheap car insurance.. you suggestion for travelling 8 miles a day is nonsense. For what it is worth, when I was aged 17 I paid well over a grand to insure an MG metro, third party, worth £500. That was in 1998!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Edd said:
I paid about £750 on my EK3 at 17...

I pay £650ish on the 316 at 20.

The CRX is costing me £800 to insure which isn't bad concidering the modifications that I have done (all of which are declared).
are you in sum young farmers club or sumfin to get that insurance lol

thats really good on the crx!! if i told the insurance i wanted a turbo in my car im pretty sure they would actually go to the effort of flying a representitive over to here to laugh at me while pointing their finger then say insurance refused, then fly home lol lol

·
Registered
795 Posts
My tip is try somewhere else!! Hell fire At 19 with my 1.4 306 I was paying £900-odd, then when I got my ESi I paid £1050 for the 1st year and its going down to £600-odd after that. I'd be trying somewhere else mate!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
On my punto (first car) it was almost £1500, then i bought a little saxo 1.1, which was only £240 for he year fully comp :S lol, then i bought my EJ9 which is £999 cully comp...
IM worried that it might go up for next year, cause something went wrong whilst they quoted me, they quoted me over the phone £999, then sent a bill for £1220, but since they had already quoted me £999, they let me pay that...

Edit:

i have just got a quote on gocompare now to see what it might be next year... cheapest returned as £1500...

·
Registered
679 Posts
mine hasnt been to bad.....at 17 i payed 1300 for a 1.2 clio rt.....at 18 i payed 1000 for a saxo furio.....now im 20 and pay 800 for a 1.5 civic coupe

·
Registered
117 Posts
i've got a ek3 with a full performance exhaust system, induction kit, tinted windows, ek9 body kit (lips :p) and insured it in my own name with everything declared on the insurance for 1100, and im 19 with 2 year no claims and 2 years drivin... didnt think that was too bad :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts