Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright lads, (and possibly gyals)
i've got a 2004 civic sport, brought it few days ago and im dying to get my sound system in it.. thing is tho, it just seems a bit hard to do . atm, i have got the power cable from the engine bay into the inside of the car (the stage i would consider to be the hardest!!) but now i have just got a random power cable in the back of my car :(
i need help with getting the power cable into the boot - can't seem to get the door sills or the rear inside quarter panel off to hide the cable under .
also, where would folk recommend running the remote and RCA cables through the dash ? - is there any secret holes i don't know about that would lead these near the beginning of the door sills to run down the other side of the car?
what would be the best earthing point in the boot ?
and what speakers could i fit in the rear quarter panel ?

any help would be appriciated as i wouldn't mind my sound system bein in for the weekend... :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
alrite bud a just fitted alpine type e speakers in the back get the 6 n half inch though got smaller n it feel straight through lol
a need help gettn the door panel off 2 change the door speakers any tips ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
where did u run the power cable. (i mean how did u get it into car from engine bay)
i hve same car as u. Also where did u run all ur cables in the end??????
thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
erm i connected it to the battery (obviously!!) and took it infront and round of the battery then took it under the engine mounts (and insteasd of having a bright red cable going through the engine bay, i wrapped it in some black cable tidy - the thing you use to put multiple cables into) and then i took it round some piping round the back (make sure it doesnt touch any piping that will get hot!!) and then towards the right of the engine bay, there is a bung.. and make it go through there !! if you push about a metre through it, it should be visible behind the glove box (when this is all the way down) and then it is just a matter of time and effort to be able to grab it and yank it through !!

as for the rest of the cables, i just ran em down under the sills and towards the boot..

if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask me. im at work at the minute so i can't really give a detailed explanation :D
if you are struggling to understand or anything, i can get pics up and a step by step guide on how to do it...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks mate thats really detailed!
Just if u could post some pics i would be sooooo grateful. Just some pics to see where you ran the cable in engine bay and what bung im looking at!
Thanks very much
:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no probs kidda, happy to help ya out . im at work again so when i get home, i'l upload some pictures for you and a bit more detail ...

-- 26 Feb 2009, 19:20 --

heres a few little picture i took on my dinner break lol
i've explained them sufficiently but if you or anybody else have any problems understanding anything, you know where i am to ask me :)

-- 26 Feb 2009, 19:21 --

oh yeh, and if you need guideance routing it through the back of the car i.e. the rear trim etc then ask me mate. i've done this 4 times and know it off by heart :)

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Phew, i'm pleased i came across this as i plan to fit mine today or tomorrow nd i wouldn't have had a clue about the amp wiring!!
Nice one!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks
When i do try to fit it i may have a few so i'll take you up on that!!

The HU is no problem, but i've never fitted a Sub/Amp before.
All i've bought is the HU with rear Aux connection and the Sub/Amp combo for the boot.

Surely it shouldn't be too hard...but i'm terrible with electrics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its dead simple mate, you need at least half a brain cell and you're awayy !!
most things are labelled up and colour co-ordinated.. are you doing it with a mate or any1 - it can be pretty handy to do so.
i'd say the hardest thing to be honest is routing the cables under the sills but that was just cus i had a really thick power cable!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gonna do it 2moz i hope! And you my friend are a true ledgend. Thanks for going through the effort to help us dumb asses lol.
One more thing tho. The sills? Did u take them completely off or just push the cable under em or summin??
Thanks so much again
:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well i think i have half a brain cell..probably more so i shouldn't even have to run at full capacity!! Perfect!!! hehe.
i fitted the Head Unit at the weekend which took all of 20 minutes so that part was easy.
Didn't have time to get to the sub/amp so i'll try to do that bit by bit this week when i get 15 minutes spare here and there. Usually i just pay people to do things as i'm so busy.

My girlfriend will give me a hand. (she's the one who wanted the sound system installed and she gave me insentive by buying me lowering springs and paying to get them fitted!!! She's a legend) :cool:

I figured the hardest part would be running the cable through.

I only have 1 question now...
What did you do about securing the sub/amp in your boot?

The best method i'd imagine would be to bolt a piece of wood in place under the carpet, then bolt the sub/amp onto that, through the carpet to secure it in place and give it a stable base.
But that is not ideal as i need the boot to put the weekly food shopping in!!! Haha. I'd like to have something that secures it, but can be easily removed without the use of a tool! Plus, i can't be bothered to source and cut a piece of wood then drill holes to secure it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi mate. Easiest thing in the world to do. Done same in my old car and same in my civic. Works a treat.
With the amp fold back seat down and screw to back of seat. (keeps it out the way) and i put mine on right side :D
Then with the sub, even easier, go to any where like a fabric shop get bout a meter of VELCRO (bout 50p) then staple it or glue it to bottom of sub and then the velcro just grips the carpet. Will not move trust me (hasnt in either of my cars)
Hope that helps, i will try and post some pics 2moz so u can see if it helps.
Any questions ask
James :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Amp is in built to the sub, but the velcro method should work a treat. Simple and effective. Never thought of that as i was too busy thinking of needlesly complex methods!!!
Getting there with the wiring at least. I've run the cables behind the glove box and everything is attached at the HU end. Just need to run the cable from battery and shove them through then i'm done! I only ever get 10 minutes or so at a time so it has to be done bit by bit. Should finish tonight though as i have a free night!!

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
omg i need my car lol cant wait to get my subs pounding again =] + i want to see what they do to a badly built rover >.< ive had one in my mums yaris and all the body palls were shaking and the mirror fell off lol

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
if you hold your sub box down with volcro then you are simply beyond stupid.
In an accident that sub box will become a projectile and a few kg of sub box hitting you or a passenger in a crash will NOT be a pretty sight

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
+1

The velcro may hold it in place round corners and such but the forces involved in an accident a many times stronger than those that are present through even the most aggressive driving.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Whats the solution to feeding the wires around the back seat. The wires run fine up from the door sil but then the trim becomes so tight you can't tuck it under. Right next to the back seat.

Want to get this done before I start my boot build this Sunday

·
Registered
18 Posts
jackpaulsmith: You are a life saver! Thought i would have to stuff the power cable though that bung but really couldn't see where it would come out, really good to see that it works!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts