Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't worry I'm not going to ask which to buy! I'm thinking of getting one but wondered if they're noisy on the motorway? I tend to cruise along at 70-80 most of the time but know that when I once drilled the air box on my old GTI the noise was terrible, hoping an induction kit will not be the same. BTW I have the upward facing throttle body so would be looking for a J shaped one with a come filter on the end.

TIA

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought about getting a panel filter but didn't think it would make much of difference to performance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which begs the question are there any rolling road tests with a standard filter fitted and then an induction kit? I'd be interested in seeing the figures for just this mod, most I see are with de cats and bigger exhaust systems too.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't think he's basing those figures on anything in particular, I'm guessing its just generalised.

The idea behind an induction kit is to replace the restrictive airbox and filter with something that will allow more cool air into the engine and also do it with less effort, this will then result in more power from the engine.

Most have a grunt or 'induction roar' when accelarating (using high revs) so they quieten down when cruising along.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking at my 1.4 the filter box doesn't look that restrictive, the filter lies directly above the venturi and there's only a long straight pipe, not even a hot air pickup, connected to the box. Talking of standard air boxes what exactly is the purpose of that big plastic box that the air intake is connected to at the front of the car, does it act like an air reservoir or something? I might try just a big pipe instead. I would feed cold into the pipe but I know it would hoover up all sorts of crap from the road, my GTI box often used to get leaves and things in it which is why I never bothered with K&N, because it would have clogged up in no time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts