Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2005 1.6 Sport and i am thinking about gettin an induction kit fitted.... iv been told a lot of different things and seen people who have fitted different ones... dont know a lot about induction kits so any help would be great..
iv seen photos of people who have fitted kits with plastic tubes and others who seem to have the metal tubes... is it better to have one or the other etc etc etc

any help???

Cheers :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
K&N seem popular.
I think this is the one but please check for yourself
http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... =69-1008TB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What I've heard
  • Pro's -
  • Never have to buy an air filter again[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
  • Improves Air Flow to your engine[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
  • Looks Kinda cool[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
  • Makes your engine noisier, which is good if you like that kinda thing

    Cons -[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
  • It costs money[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
  • You wont notice much improvement if that's the only change you make[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
  • It's cold out, sitting inside is better than shivering on the drive while you fit it[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
  • Makes your engine noisier, which is bad if you don't like that kinda thing[/*:m:1j1t5foz]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,193 Posts
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=128" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That should help you out a bit. I just went for a k&n panel filter in mine, theres a small amount of grunt from that. Other than k&n have a look int AEM. Loads of people on this site suggest them cos aparantly they are ace, i dont know from experience though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
what ive noticed, it doesnt really matter what make the induction is,,, k&n or whatever,, all they do is bassically the same thing just price difference,,, in order to gain performance ,its hard, the filter needs to be placed in such a way that it sucks cold air, prefferably as far away from the engine ( the case with most civics that the indiction kit makes it harder to get cold air as the exhaust manifold is wuite close) so i would recomend to stic with the stock ( the big black box that takes up so mutch space) filter just change the inside filter with a better one. stock is best i recon as it is set up in the best way. even if you do arrange for cold air, performance wise if all goes well you will get +2 /3 bhp extra ( better than nothing) and i must admit when the aftermarket filter suck air in especially when reving,sounds nice. but is it worth 50-120£ ??? by the way, i saw ek4 half of the stock filter box in which he palce the "cone filter with the stainless steel pipe, not so good looking,but does the job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
to be honest i dont really believe in much performance gain from induction kits, they are more for the noise you get off them, you will find with alot of cars it will actually make the car worse as your not getting that cold air feed like you get with the standard box, unless your wanting to put a heat shield around the filter and have cold air feeding from the front of the car!!

not sure if it was on here or not but saw a guy that had his filter completely enclosed in a aluminium box which had a big air feed coming from the front of the car, would have looked well if it was colour coded to the engine bay :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
josh897 said:
to be honest i dont really believe in much performance gain from induction kits, they are more for the noise you get off them, you will find with alot of cars it will actually make the car worse as your not getting that cold air feed like you get with the standard box, unless your wanting to put a heat shield around the filter and have cold air feeding from the front of the car!!

not sure if it was on here or not but saw a guy that had his filter completely enclosed in a aluminium box which had a big air feed coming from the front of the car, would have looked well if it was colour coded to the engine bay :cool:
Wouldn't the aluminium box get hot as the heat from the manifold and cylinder head got to it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
mugen said:
what ive noticed, it doesnt really matter what make the induction is,,, k&n or whatever,, all they do is bassically the same thing just price difference
there are filtration differences......

It matters how long it is, a longer intake pipe equals a better low end power curve and a shorter pipe equals a better high end curve. Depends what you wnat really but yes it is hard to stop heat getting to filter when pipe is short
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
donzo said:
josh897 said:
to be honest i dont really believe in much performance gain from induction kits, they are more for the noise you get off them, you will find with alot of cars it will actually make the car worse as your not getting that cold air feed like you get with the standard box, unless your wanting to put a heat shield around the filter and have cold air feeding from the front of the car!!

not sure if it was on here or not but saw a guy that had his filter completely enclosed in a aluminium box which had a big air feed coming from the front of the car, would have looked well if it was colour coded to the engine bay :cool:
Wouldn't the aluminium box get hot as the heat from the manifold and cylinder head got to it?
never really thought of that, but it seemed to work well for him anyways!!

think he had it set to a certain size so there wasnt really any air sitting around in it too long before it was sucked into the engine, so really it was just working as a cold air feed
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top