Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I came across the site recently, and I *thought* it had helped me solve a problem with my old civic, but now it looks like I haven't so I was hoping I could get a bit of expert advice!

It's an immobiliser issue, my car is a 6th generation Honda civic (X reg 2001 [I think]), 1.4i (not the flashiest car I know!).

The problem was the same as on this thread , and that solution
New immobiliser unit, new transponder and keys recoded for £113.50. It could have been a lot more painful than that no doubt! :eek:
was the same they came up with for me.

Basically the immobiliser had been failing for some time, at first it was once in a blue moon, but it became more and more regular. The car would refuse to recognise the key, but would often 'reset' after a while. It also seemed to happen most after long journeys. If I tried the key immediately after switching the engine off, it rarely would restart - which made getting petrol a risky process!

It failed 'permanently' when I drove back to my folks at xmas. I took it to honda just before xmas with my diagnosis, and after a while they came back to me agreeing and saying they would order a new immobiliser unit (for some reason this took 3 weeks to come from Belgium!). My dad picked the car up today, drove home £150 worse off, then tried starting it later and it was exactly the same as before, just the flashing immobiliser light.

Honda in Hull aren't much help, but then they did go bust last week so I guess they have other things to worry about. They agreed to have another look at it (though I have the feeling it's in the 'once in a blue moon' stage of failing now), but they refused to refund the money.

What I'm really looking for advice on the following ideas,
  • Does this mean I'm looking at a new ECU?[/*:m:205tlduc]
  • Can I get one from a breakers yard and fit it myself?[/*:m:205tlduc]
  • Can any of this be done *without* official honda dealerhsips?[/*:m:205tlduc]
  • Can I just bypass the immobilser althogether? (no one is gonna steal the car!)[/*:m:205tlduc]
I've seen rumours of this last option being possible on various fourms, but people won't post the detilas for obvious reasons.

Thanks for reading, if anyone has any ideas they would be gratefully received. I should say that I haven't actually seen the car myself since it was 'fixed' (with it being over in east yorkshire). I'm hoping to see the new keys for myself, just to make sure they actually did do the work and didn't just leave it stting there for a month (i think it would have restarted itself by then, but ready to fail again).

Cheers guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just an update, in case anyone is reading this with the same problem...

Honda have finally come to the same conclusion I did back in December: the car also is going to need a new ECU.
They are quoting me £768 to supply and fit this, which (a) isn't really worth it and (b) I'm not convinced they could do that good a job fitting it anyway, and I'd end up back where I started.

Anyone have any experience of picking up these things off Ebay and fitting them your selves?
Many thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
so, has anybody got any ideas?

very interested to hear from you gents (and ladies) as i have one cold ej8 sat in the lay-by. although this particular immobiliser problem was self-inflicted, it had begun to get erratic and was not starting every time with the occasional flashing key instance. last thing i want to do is shell out £150 for a new unit if the ecu is going to need replacing...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts