Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a 1.5 ls ek3 for my first car

for some reason the car only starts wen i warm up the immobaliser chip in the key

the car is a N reg 1996 1.5 16v ls ek3 civic
im not sure what immobaliser it has i think its the standard 1

what do i need to do ?
will i need a new immobaliser ?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Can you give us a little more info to help you with? What immobiliser are you using? We need the make and model so that we can research and see if there are any known problems with it.

How old is it? Did you buy it new?

Welcome to the forum Ross :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Right, do you have a little thing on your key fob? a black cuboid shaped thing that you psh onto a likght like on my EG? if you do, you can get someone to disable to immobilizer completely. im going to cos its a pain in the arse having to disarm it everytime. either that or im going to wire it so its always on, but wire it to a hidden switch.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was given 2 keys for the car but 1 doesnt activate the immobaliser and there just metal with no plastic but 1 has the chip in the middel of it and it only starts if i warm the chip up in my hand haha

my car has to go in for a mot but i dont think itll pass because of this

the picture attached is the 2 keys and you can see the immobaliser chip in the middle of 1 (the white bit )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
ah right, ive never seen these before so i cant help im afraid.. i had no plastic on my key either so i got another one cut at a random shop.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Skinny said:
ah right, ive never seen these before so i cant help im afraid.. i had no plastic on my key either so i got another one cut at a random shop.
did you not have a chip in your key ?

my central locking is the 1 that you put the key in the driver side lock and all the doors unlock

the car doesnt start with the chip out the key but when its in i have to warm in up in my hand for the car to start

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
thats strange that you hve to warm it up. I have a little black fob with a stud on the end, and on my dash there is a flashing light, I have to press the stud on the fob, against the light and you hear a click when the immobilizer disarms

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2000 Civic EX does not have an immobilizer chip. I wish it did though because the 1999-2000 Civic Si and EX are one of the most stolen cars in the US. My 2000 BB6 Prelude Type SH does. A replacement key with the immobilizer chip is $28 US.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts