Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know were it is.? my car is a 18vti w reg.its idleling low wen warm.had this with my vectra,just sprayed it with carb cleaner then was fine.but not sure were the idle control valve is on my civic..and wen the car is warm there is a slight tapping on top end,its only done 48,000 miles.any ideas...thanks...

·
Registered
65 Posts
if its ticking like a really fast seconds hand on a clock it could be your valve clearances needing adjusted. had that problem on my M3. wouldnt think so at 48k though. try using a thicker oil maybe. no idea where the ICV is though o_O

Just another thought, the tapping wouldnt be coming from the A/C compressor by any chance? if it is then its on its way out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its go 10/40 in it.its not that bad,its a slight tapping,like tappet sound,may b im just being picky,??..this idle thing tho after a few stop/starts,i start the car the idle drops to about 100 revs,nearly cuts out,then it comes back ok.????

·
Registered
65 Posts
yeah it does sound like an IVC. Maybe try and search the net for an exploded diagram of your motor or ask honda themselves. it would be an easy answer for a honda tecky. to be honest ive had 2 vti's and the first one was quite tappety, especially on start up, and that only had 38k on it when i got it. think some engines are just more tappety than others. and to be honest vtecs do sound a bit dieselly especially when cold. wouldnt worry about it. just test the performance now and again. if it still pulls well and theres no smoke or funny knocks then it'll be spot on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks ..it pulls like a train..will honda tell me were it is..???.the idle valve..?know wat there like..lol

·
Registered
65 Posts
thye should do. wouldnt of thought it would be a problem to any mechanic really.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i looked on goggle found it straight away.step by step guide were it is how to take it off.ive done it now.still a little low but much better.i just put iacv honda in google it came up ,good idea of yours.i didnt think of that..thanks for your help..

·
Registered
65 Posts
why didn't i think of that lol..... sorry dude, just sort of gathered that you couldnt find it on google lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts