Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Can you identify this engine? It's a 1.6 out of a '96 5 door civic.

Is it an 8v engine or 16v?? anyone know a code??

If it is an 8v engine, what are they like???? Im going looking at a car with the same engine in tonight.

[attachment=0:5way8k8x]engine.jpg[/attachment:5way8k8x]

thanks in advance,

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Joe, I cant see the picture because I am at work, what is the code on the block? If you can tell me this I can tell you what engine it is.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
It looks as though its either a D14 or a D15 out of a 1.5 LSi.

They are none VTEC and 16v

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats great cheers guys! I was worried because i read somewhere that the MB1's / MB3's (im not too up on models just yet) can come with a 1.6 8v as well as the 1.5 LSi models. Im sick of 8v cars, want a 16v for once!

Think ill go take a peek at this car tonight then, hopefully it will be a good'un!

Cheers again,

Joe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends on what engines you are comparing really. usually 8v's FEEL quicker around town due to low down torque - but if you look at the torque range, a 16v will usually have more throughout - they just drive differently.

·
Registered
370 Posts
look on the bulk head (on the inside of the engine bay nearest the windscreen). there should be a plate with the chassis code and on mine there is teh engine code too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drove the car tonight.....must say i wasnt too impressed, felt really weak and didnt have any power (although i didnt take it to the higher revs). It is definately a 1.6, and definately 16v.

Are these engines as strong as other honda engines?? can they be tuned at all?

Joe

·
Registered
835 Posts
ive found my 1.5 sohc 16v flat as hell below 4 to 4.5k wen it comes on cam tho its really nippy its also the non vtec enine so revs out at 7200 so its a very narrow power band u hav to really work the gears to make it feel quick. having worked at a vw garage and road tested a lot of mk2 gtis (which is wat ya had before wasnt it ?) i can see why ud think it feels slow if u werent revving it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Most honda engines(even1.4) work that way. You really need to take them to the redline to feel proper performance to judge properly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeh still in me Mk2 GTI at moment. I'm not bothered if the civic aint as quick to be honest, it just felt very very different to what im used to. Might still have the car though, its well grandad pimpin' (wood trim on dash etc) - could look awesome with suspension, nice wheels, rear camber and smoothing here and there!

Just really want assurance that the engines are as strong as other honda engines, i dont want to be doing the head gasket in a months time!!

Thanks for all the info guys, big help,

Joe

·
Registered
370 Posts
yeh you can tune them.
you can do a mine me swap which gives vtec to a non vtec engine. they are very good engines but as with all engines if they are serviced well they will last forever :D.

if u want a little more power sorting out air flow ie the induction and exhaust (not a beancan though!!) will give you a more responsive car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can do with it all the things that you can do with the others. Mine is a litle bit tuned and it goes well. I lose a litle to a b16 but i don't lose alot ( one car for 500 or 600 meters). They where build for milage so they don't drink much. My d16 does 6l / 100 km. If you work the head and do some change to intake and exhaust you can have a good power(150 hp). My curently is doin 7800 rpm with stock internals so they are tought. They can manage alot of bad treatment. Vtec is good but it represents some problems if you want to folow an non turbo spec with high revs (10000 rpms over). Also the vtec uses oil pressure so if your oil is not good your vtec will probably go wrong. Vtec have one good thing, 2 cam specs on one engine. So it will give you torque at low revs and power at high revs. With our engines we can only pic one of them, good power at high or good torque at low. Some brands are starting to use controled valves with hidraulic or electric power. The engines of the future will not have cams. Vtec , vanos, mivec and other sistems are similar, the only thing that vtec have is that it work better compared to the others. Hope it helps

See ya

·
Registered
26 Posts
Looks like a ZC engine to me I had one in my 95 integra, is it an import?
Could be wrong but with the ht leads facing away from you it could be like a d16zc or somethin, non-vtec, about 105bhp.
type Honda D into wikipedia and have a flick through.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts