Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks I could do with your advice. I recently bought a 04 plate Civic Type S - has 17" wheels, VSA and cruise control. Car has only 24K miles on the clock is in perfect condition -very nice car bought to replace my old 97 Civic 1.5iLS --- problem is that it drinks petrol from the research I did on the internet the consumpition figures should be 37mpg mixed, 28mpg in town and 45mpg on a run.

I know you have to take these with a pinch of salt but i'm struggling to get over low 30's on the mainly a-road and motorway driving (this with my girlfriend driving which is very s-l-o-w). I've even done a 240 mile run with cruise on sitting at 60 and got 32mpg which is rubbish!

The car drives fine, but I am dispaointed with performance - it is a wee bit quicker than old 1.5 civic but not enough to warrant extra 40% on fuel bills. Not a patch on my folks old type-r considering only has 40 bhp less too.

If anyone has a type-s please let me know what mpg you are getting, or if anyone could suggest a cause for the heavy consumption - is it a common fault?

The only thing I can do now is take it to Honda, but as the car seems to run fine, I don't know what they can do?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards
Martin

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is it an auto? What is VSA? Brakes binding - unlikely for the age but can cause consumption problems.
Tyres inflated correctly?
Heavy stuff in the boot that isn't needed there?
O2 sensors may be faulty, does it idle OK when warm?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi mate - thanks for reply. The car is a manual, i've checked to see if brakes are binding before and they are fine. VSA is traction control. There is no extra weight in the car, and i'm good at keeping an eye on the tyre pressures etc - so it can't be that.

To be honest i'm at a bit of a loss because it runs fine - starts on the key, smooth idle, no hesitation or flat spots on acceleration, just heavy fuel consumption! I've tried driving it with a proverbial feather foot and it's not me being heavy footed!

My only thoughts would be that maybe there is a blockage in the air intake or a problem with the engine management system?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does the engine light come on and stay on? Can you check for codes, or a get garage to do diagnostics (although report back with any findings as they will want to do the work and charge a fortune).
o2 sensors then for me, although the mileage wouldn't suggest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again DM-Racing - the engine light isn't on - so will get the car diagnosticed (if that's the word..!). Would I be able to get that done in a non-honda garage or will I have to take it to a dealer?

Funnily enough the o2 sensor was the only thing that needed replaced on my last Civic (in 180K of other wise trouble free miles - i've forgotten what its like having to get a car repaired)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi mate, i have the same with the 17in wheels, driving to speed limits and not to high revs in each gear i can get 40-45mpg, even nearly 50 sometimes, but if put my foot down it soon goes down to 20 somethin! Have you reset your trip meter then drive carefully? or have you worked out this mpg yourself?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi belham31 - thanks for your post. Yeah trip computer is reset each time - if you are getting over 40mpg then there is definately something wrong with mine!!!

I work out mpg by taking number of litres to fill tank / 4.55 = gallons and then dividing number miles done since last fill up.

Have tried driving with feather right foot and does not help - is just frustrating!!

Thanks Martin

·
Registered
240 Posts
well iv had my type s down at 24 mpg but that was taking the piss!!

when driving sensibly iv had it up to 38 mpg and when i got the car (from a lady owner) it was 42 mpg

but i usually sit at about 28 - 35 mpg with quite a lot of town driving :)

hope this helped :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol. yeah the problem is the Civic's drink problem is stealing the funds for my own drink problem.

thanks again to those who have replied - much appreciated.

Thinks it gonna be a trip to Honda garage for them to charge me £££ to plug the car in and get 'computer says theres nothing wrong with it'

fingers crossed!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Computer says Noo!! haha

Let us know the outcome, they should do it for free (maybe not Honda mind). Just get a list and report back as you can probably get whatever is wrong with it far cheaper. Don;t be baffled if they use terminology, just say you will go back another day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
martinj said:
I work out mpg by taking number of litres to fill tank / 4.55 = gallons and then dividing number miles done since last fill up.
try US gallons (divide by 3,7854), that'll make you feel a lot more optimistic :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
iv heard it depends on what the temp is outside as well but mine sits a 37.6mpg even when im in a heavy footed mood, the lowist i have had it is 29.3mpg but that was up hill in 4th, try going on the motorway n resetting it, n just keep your foot rested on the pedel in 5th going the limit to see if its working acurately

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just bought an 05 plate and am much dismayed by consumption of 29 mpg. Car's computer says I'm getting 34-35 but I don't believe it. I haven't done a long trip yet but I've been light on the throttle. I used to get better consumption out my SAAB 93 and that was 300 kg heavier. Had a 1.5LSi Civic before that an got 47mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts