Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[attachment=3:36hp66sc]1.jpg[/attachment:36hp66sc]
If you ever happened to see the Aerocivic on the road, you’d be forgiven for wondering how such an odd-looking vehicle can even move. What you wouldn’t know is that Mike Turner’s hyper-modified Honda Civic gets better mileage and has a lower drag coefficient than even the newest generation of the Toyota Prius. At a speed of 65mph the Aerocivic gets a whopping 95mpg!

[attachment=2:36hp66sc]2.jpg[/attachment:36hp66sc]
Although the Aerocivic is not exactly a consumer-ready vehicle, it is an incredible feat of DIY ingenuity. In order to achieve its eye-popping mileage a number of conditions must be met (well presurized tires, flat road), but the results are impressive nonetheless.

So how does it work? The secret lies in all of the aerodynamic modifications that Mike has made to the car. His goal was to create a car that would have an extremely low coefficient drag. A Toyota Prius for example, has a coefficient drag of around 0.25 CD. By smoothing out the boxy profile of his 1992 Honda Civic Mike was able to achieve 0.17 CD. On an 11 gallon tank, he will regularly get around 800 miles!

You can see all of Mike’s work on his recently launched website, where he writes about the car, the modifications, and his experiences driving it.

[attachment=1:36hp66sc]3.jpg[/attachment:36hp66sc]
[attachment=0:36hp66sc]4.jpg[/attachment:36hp66sc]
Source: Inhabitat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
thats fuckin terrible,

i posted it up quite recently, didnt actually realise it was like that for aerodynamics, i just assumed some twat who hates jap cars got bored

and took his anger out on the car lol

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think he really built it for the looks. I'd focus more on the 95mpg part.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd rather pay £2 a litre petrol and still have my lead foot than drive that..........bring on the hydrogen cars......then screww mileage and emissions........and honda leads the way AGAIN

·
Premium Member
5,616 Posts
The answer is: No, you would never have to fill up, because you'd never drive it.
Looks sh*t. lol

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Looks shite but I had a little look into it and he has a projected top speed of 140mph, up from 95 :| not bad for a car loaded with superglue, aluminium and MDF. And I think 104bhp...

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
projected... ilovelamp you know what that means its just bollox... its like dumb asses who say oooh the SSC aero is not the fastest car in the world its the barabus TKR .. does 0-60mph in 1.67 seconds and 270 mph ... yea whatever! where you pull thoose stats from a random calculator

I tunnel tested my fart once got 670 mph almost as fast as my zanussi 16,000 rpm metro that i ran a 0.7 1/4 mile at 18,950 mph ... dont believe me ask my mates dog

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Haha yeah I know mate, it's just impressive that tweaking the aerodynamics alone can improve a cars Cd so much. I know about those dumbasses believe me ;)

670mph? That all?! Dude, I sneezed once. Scientifically proven to have reached 846mph. Tested with a kiddies handheld windmill you know - pretty sure that's the standard method these days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts