Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This how to guide was taken from Tony Cox's guide to fitting a handsfree kit in his EP3 Type R which can be found here therefore all credit goes to him
for this, I just thought that it would be handy to have as a quick reference on the site.

Also, thanks to NickyBoy and MichaelVTEC for the last two images. :cool:

HOW TO:

1. Using a paint knife/wallpaper scraper or something similar, start by easing the gear stick facia at the top left hand corner as shown in (image 1). Do the same in the top right hand corner, you should then be able to pull the facia clear, at the same time disconnecting ciggarette lighter, ac button (if you have it) and hazard light switch.

[attachment=10:d2138so3]1.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]
[attachment=9:d2138so3]2.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]
[attachment=8:d2138so3]3.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]

2. Remove the screws from the metal mounting bracket and wriggle free from its centre clip. (image 2)

[attachment=7:d2138so3]4.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]

3. Unclip in-dash wiring from the centre of the radio mount subframe. (image 3)

[attachment=6:d2138so3]5.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]

4. The radio mount subframe is bolted at the lower edge at the positions shown. An 8mm spanner that can fit behind the dashboard is needed to release these bolts. The corresponding holes are slotted (facing towards you) so its only necessary to loosen the bolts before the radio mount subframe can be pulled forward. (image 4)

[attachment=5:d2138so3]6.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]

5. Ease out the upper facia releasing connections to the radio, aerial and heater controls as you do so. (image 5)

[attachment=4:d2138so3]7.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]

6. It is advisable to lift out the whole unit as it makes it easier to work with. (image 6)

[attachment=3:d2138so3]8.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]

7. Remove old standard Honda HU and replace. (image 7)

[attachment=2:d2138so3]9.JPG[/attachment:d2138so3]

8. Reverse the steps taken to dismantle the unit to install everything back in place. (image 8)

[attachment=1:d2138so3]06122008083.jpg[/attachment:d2138so3]
[attachment=0:d2138so3]2.jpg[/attachment:d2138so3]

Another tutorial: http://www.civictype-r.com/ICE_-_Removi ... _Unit.html

Helpful guide for doing it on autos: http://heinanen.co.uk/car/honda_civic_2001.shtml

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts
Re: How To: EP Removal and Replacement of Head Unit

Also, if your going to have an ipod connection, the easiest place to wire it to is the glovebox. The wire just feeds through without the need of drilling anything.

Try and keep the wires tidy aswel, its a pain trying to fit the unit back in and having wires in the way, youl see bits at the back where you can route your ipod/microphone/sub wires round to wherever you want them. Everything is nicely contained in the dash, keep it that way! ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts

Im half way through the job (got dark and couldn't see much). At stage 4 the bolts are really tricky to loosen so it may help to lower the glove box (sqeeze both sides of the box towards the middle), and it should release. Also for the other side get the fuse box out. The bolts are much easier to get out from the sides.

Been putting it off for ages as my alpine headunit doesn't have the time so wont have a clock in the car :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts

shaf0187 said:
Been putting it off for ages as my alpine headunit doesn't have the time so wont have a clock in the car :confused:
need to get on that mate lol

·
Registered
10 Posts

Fitted my headunit today! :D Looking for some sort of clock for the car now. Any ideas? Most of them look really cheapy!

·
Registered
240 Posts

on the standad honda head unit it says CD/AUX

in picture 7

at the far left there is a circular hole? is this for an aux cable to be fitted therefore allowing an ipod to be set up and played??

this question might seem ridiculous but i am a newbie :)

any help would be brilliant cheers :)

·
Premium Member
7,193 Posts

[attachment=1:2q1aivpf]CIMG0580.JPG[/attachment:2q1aivpf]

[attachment=0:2q1aivpf]CIMG0581.JPG[/attachment:2q1aivpf]

No visible aux slot on the back.

The hole that looks like a jack in the middle isn't, I tried putting headphones in it and the hole just goes nowhere.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts

How did you take that plastic off Nicky?

Also, I've changed my head unit, but clearly it's wired up wrong as whenever the engine/power goes off the HU resets itself... wasn't bad at first, but now it's annoying as fuck. Really want to change it, but can't really be fucked takeing everything off again!

Anyone know what I might have missed? Power still goes to the HU when the engine is off as there's a tiny red light in the HU which stays on all the time when the face is off... confusing!

·
Registered
27 Posts

Follwed this guide on Friday and removed and replaced the HU in about 20 minutes!! Thanks!
Pleased Honda made it easy...i remember trying it on a Mk6 Fiesta about 5 years ago and man that was insane.

O)nly problem is, for some reason i ordered a Black fascia...ooops! Luckily the buttons, vents etc are black too so it's not like it looks totally out of place...but Silver would have been a bit better! Typical me!

·
Registered
79 Posts

I've realised that the security bolts [ which i've been told by some might not be there- but was for me!] were complete hell to loosen up!!
i got so angry at trying to take them off that i suddenly noticed you could feed your hand through under the steering column trim. if you take a look down there and you might need to remove the fuse box lid, theres enough space to get through. plus, i didn't put the bolts back in either, because it'd just be too much hassle for future. lol
=]
hope this helps... even a little
:mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts