Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres how I do it - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... 4357#64357" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A FORD GRANADA COZZY ......
(show car prep 4 Ford Fair)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=6866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A BLACK TOYOTA CELICA

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=7174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A BLACK MAZDA 323F

So you know what it is.......

{Auto detailing is the performance of an extremely thorough cleaning, polishing and waxing of an automobile, both inside and out, to produce a show-quality level of detail. It can be practiced for personal satisfaction, and it is also performed to prepare a car for car shows that feature the appearance of cars. Besides improving the appearance of cars, detailing helps to preserve the car, and thus, increases resale value.}

And it can take up to 3 days worth of hours!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
it looks nice but detailing a car regulary is overboard in my opinion its perfect for shows but not everyday use of a car 2-3 days detailing a car seems a LOT of time when i can get my car really shiney polished and waxed in a few hours and achive a good finish its not anal but looks good enough to passers by and parked up lol

love the restoration you achived with the detailing though on cars that need a good detail like the 1's in your links it pays off all the effort..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, well personally it's never took me 3 days worth of hours but it can with some other detailers when they do underneath the car lol I know, it sounds mental but I've seen forums with people doing the underneaths of there scoobies and golfs!! Seriously. But a typical detail on the exterior of a (not too bad car) normally only takes around just under 21 hours and only ever really needs to be carried out half way through a cars life, although some do it to there car every year. :p The main aim of the game is to get the ugly cob web scrathes/ swirl marks off of the clear cote.

Cheers 4 the nice comments by the way :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yerrr it's all my doing! No 1 elses, and I'm only 15 ;) but I am the cream @ it lol errm... u can get a professional to do it up there 4 about £200 - £350 or u can buy youre own set of detailing goods 2 keep for about £300, and then carry the work out your self bearing in mind you'll have to be patient and put a lot of elbow grease into it. Chances are tho that @ the end of it all u'll have the cleanest, glossyest, black, Civic in Edinburgh! + You'll probably get a great deal of pleasure in seeing you're own pride and joy gleam even better than when it rolled off the production line too :cool:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
lol might get my own set, civics a re-spray so it would have been green when it came of the production line but i know what you mean :) pretty impressive work though if i were you i would be makin a small fortune on the weekends.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers yeh, I reckon the valetings more where the money is though, like yesterday I got £30 for doing a fiesta and a warrior inside and out + theres a lot more valets I do than details really. Well if you want a list of detailing products then just let me know, youre more than welcome to ask and i'll make it as walet friendly as possible! Any hints and tips about car cleaning you want to know about just ask away, I mean it is my job ;)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I will do if you could send me a list of cleaning products such as wax. Do you know anything that can get rid off what seems to be like sap or somthing on the car that is making the paint work rough dont want to respray would rather have a cheaper way out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Right then every1 here goes -

1.Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polisher £139.99p (must have) TAKES SWIRLS OUT & RECONDISHIONS LAQUER EXTREMELY WELL.

2.Lake Country - Yellow Cutting Pad £8.95p (must have) GOES ONTO THE DUAL ACTION POLISHER AND SPINS AROUND ON LAQUER TO APPLY POLISH AND WORKS IN POLISH TO REMOVE THE UGLY SWIRLS/COB WEB SCRATCHES.

3.Meguiars Detailing Clay - Aggressive £22.95 (must have) REMOVES BONDED CONTAMINATION SUCH AS TREE SAP, TAR SPOTS, INDUSTRIAL FALLOUT, FRESH BIRD DROPINGS THAT ARE DRY BUT NOT BAKED ON LAQUER, OVERSPRAY, HARD WATER SPOTS, RAIL DUST (comes off of brake disks, flies out of wheel and onto laquer and then turns orange and rusty) like metal shavings basicly, BUG SQUASH, DRIED ON GREASE and ROAD SALTS TO LEAVE LAQUER SMOOTH, EXTRA CLEAN AND READY FOR MACHINE POLISHING STAGE.

4.Dodo Juice - Born Slippy 500ml £6.95 (must have) well you can use water but this stuffs better really. LUBERICATION 4 THE CLAY BAR TO MOVE EASILY.

5.Chemical Guys - Extreme Top-Coat (must have) £11.95 FINISHES OFF AND PROTECTS BODYWORK AFTER THE CAR HAS BEEN FRESHLY MACHINE POLISHED. GIVES EXTRA GLOSS TOO.

6.Auto glym High Definition Wax £39.99 (not must have but great product) FOR A TRUE CONCOURS/SHOW CAR GLOSS THAT GIVES THAT ULTRA WET FINISH

7.Dodo Juice - Lime Prime Lite 250ml £13.50 (not must have but preps the paint 4 the wax above)

8.Chemical Guys - New Look Trim Gel £10.95 (not must have if you have youre own substitute) Apply it to youre tires with your old sponge. Revives grey coloured tire side walls and door strips, dashboards etc etc.

9.Meguiars Grit Guard and bucket £17.95 (must) PREVENTS GRIT FROM BEING MOVED AROUND THE PAINTWORK WHICH IS SOMETHING THAT CONTRIBUTES TO SWIRL MARKS.

10.Sheepskin Wash Pad £7.95 (must) AGAIN, PREVENTS SWIRLS BEING PUT BACK ON CAR BECAUSE IT DOES NOT HAVE A FLAT FACE UNLIKE A SPONGE.

11.Huge 38" x 28" Microfibre Drying Towel £9.99 (must) VERRY THIRSTY AND EASY TO USE.

12.Dodo Juice - Born to be mild shampoo 250ml (not must have until youve finished youre own stuff) PH NEUTRAL SHAMPOO WHICH HELPS TO MAINTAIN THE EXPENSIVE WAX LAYERS INSTEAD OF STRIPPING THEM OFF.

13.Menzerna Power Finish (PO203S) - 1 litre £18.95 (must) POLISH TO USE WITH THE LAKE COUNTRY PAD AND MACHINE.

14.Sonus Blue Perl - Polishing Towels Pkg/2 £7.95 (must unless you have own substitutes) BUFFING OFF THE POLISH AND WAX TO PERFECTION.

15.3M 3434 Masking Tape £2.80 (must) GOES OVER TEXTURISED EXTERIOR PLASTICS SUCH AS DOOR STRIPS. ALSO GOES OVER RUBBER PARTS, BADGES AND OTHER LITTLE THINGS LIKE THE INDICATOR LENSES. IT HELPS TO PREVENT POLISH BIULD UP IN CREVICES AND STOPS WHITE POLISH RESIDUE STAINS FROM OCCURING WHEN USING THE MACHINE.

16.Auto glym car glass polish (not must unless you have own substitute) £5.95

17.Two-Way Mini Detail Brush £2.46 (not must but great on vents, grilles etc) FOR DUSTING LITTLE THINGS THAT ARE TRICKY AND FIDLY TO DUST WITH A CLOTH.

18.Valet Pro - Citrus Tar and Glue Remover £6.95 (must) DISSOLVES AND HELPS TO SHIFT EXCESS TAR SPOTS LEFT BEHIND ON LAQUER THAT THE CLAY WAS NOT ABLE TO GET OFF.

19.Auto glyms metal polish 4 exausts etc £5.96 (not must)

20.Autoglyms custom wheel cleaner £5.95 (not must) im sure you have it or an alternative

Altogether the "musts" add up to a hefty £264, but then again dont forget a detail is the closest thing to a respray. The only things it wont take out are stone chips and key scratches though.

But once you catch the detailing bug... theres no way of looseing it, you'll just be keeping that car clean 4ever! :D (Jokes)

Although all you really have to do is just wash and dry the bodywork for the next 6-12months after the detail. In other words "valet" :D Then clay again and then add "top coat" + other touch up peices after 6 + months. ;)

Check out this website the delivery is great and its where I get my main stock and special items from. You'll find most of the stuff up there on here - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Everything else you'll be able to get from Autocare or Halfords that sort of shop.

Wanna look into valeting + {DETAILING} and have a look @ how other people do it? Heres a link to the forum that got me into it even more - http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/vie ... 074eb2b010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck! Have fun workin on your lill beauts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will do in a min, hang on ;)

-- 08 Sep 2009, 20:12 --

done

·
Premium Member
5,629 Posts
nice 1 apreciate the time you took to do it for us all :cool:

-- 10 Sep 2009, 21:49 --

i used the cemical boys rubber and trim stuff the other day and WOW its transformed the car there is a lot of rubber on the Eg's and all mine was fades worn and greyish now it all looks brand new :mrgreen: amazing how much differance making the rubbers all shiney and black transforms the car still haven't tried the claybara out yet but ill get some pics when i do Woop

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeh yeh, true true, it just gives that instant pow to the plastics its great, im glad ure happy with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts