Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing that a lot of people are having problems with their car idle being irregular here on the forum. A possible cause could be a clogged IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). To fix this problem is very simple.

Tools Needed: 12mm socket and wrench
Brake or Carb Cleaner
Philips Screwdriver
Old rag to help with overflow from heater lines

First, locate the IACV. It's in the back of the engine bay by the intake manifold and throttle body. I have circled it below (should be located here for most, if not all, D and B series).
[attachment=5:1hjyo1zo]1.jpg[/attachment:1hjyo1zo] [attachment=4:1hjyo1zo]2.jpg[/attachment:1hjyo1zo]

The next step is to loosen the two 12mm bolts that hold it on.
[attachment=3:1hjyo1zo]3.jpg[/attachment:1hjyo1zo]
After removing the two bolts, unplug the electrical connection and also the two hoses leading into the IACV. Take the old rag to keep from the fluid in the heater lines from spilling everywhere. *Note- If you are having problems with the hoses being stuck, spray some WD40 or other lubricant on them and it is a wise idea to also replace the clamps on the hoses due to the fact that they will never work as well after this*
[attachment=2:1hjyo1zo]4.jpg[/attachment:1hjyo1zo]
You should now have something like this.
As you can see, my screen is a tad bit clogged up. Take the brake or carb cleaner and spray it on the screen. Leave sufficient time for this to dry before reinstalling it. You should have something like this.
[attachment=1:1hjyo1zo]5.jpg[/attachment:1hjyo1zo]

While you have this piece off, you can remove these screws to make sure the gasket underneath is still in good condition, and in my case it was.
[attachment=0:1hjyo1zo]6.jpg[/attachment:1hjyo1zo]
Installation is the opposite of removal. Once you have it reinstalled, start it up to make sure it runs! Hope this helps.

SOURCE

Attachments

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
not having this problem but thats very helpful thanks!

will bookmark your source for future reference ;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im actualy looking for a guide on how to fix my weak blowers and keep finding other good guides so i post them here for your convenience :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
broxybear, when you mean weak blower, are you refering to the heater not workin on controls ONE and TWO? if thats the case then some resistors in the heater system have gone faulty

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well were kind of going off topic (which i started i know) but no all the settings are working fine its just there not really blowing o_O if you know what im saying,
tommorow im going to try the cabin filter thing i posted on the 7 gen section, although im not really sure i have a cabin filter as i dont have a/c but i might find some thing i hope :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the pollen filter in the same place behind the glove box?

if it is i'll make my own guide just for a change :p then i'll go back to finding other usefull ones ^_^

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
paul20v said:
even with no A/C you may still have a pollen filter and they block and cause your symptoms i see loads of cars doing it .
what like this :p sorry im a spammer at heart :D

·
Registered
377 Posts
Broxybear said:
im actualy looking for a guide on how to fix my weak blowers and keep finding other good guides so i post them here for your convenience :)
BROXYBEAR

Weak blower, I had this, couldnt figure it out.

Take out your pollen filter and vacuum in there, keep it out, try blowers now. Will blow like a hurricane lol!

Will do a how to when I install a new pollen filter hopefully this weekend.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i got mines fixed m8 thanks

a guide will be handy for others though :)

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
twist said:
Broxybear said:
BROXYBEAR

Weak blower, I had this, couldnt figure it out.

Take out your pollen filter and vacuum in there, keep it out, try blowers now. Will blow like a hurricane lol!

Will do a how to when I install a new pollen filter hopefully this weekend.
yer that would be great!!

·
Registered
822 Posts
this is interesting

my car was a single carb with the IACV on it and i did the dual carb swap on the car,
i never knew what the IACV thing was and noticed i didnt need it on the dual carbs (well couldnt find where it would go on the dual carb)
not since the swap my car for some reason idle's at 2k, and anything below the car stalls
could this be the issue? and any ideas on how to solve it if it is

thanks
Elid

·
Registered
377 Posts
I solved my idling issue by cleaning the IACV and cleaning the throttle body properly, was full of gunk when my car was running rich.

·
Registered
822 Posts
yeah, i cleaned my carbs the other day,

thing is i removed the IACV from my car, had no where to put it on the new dual carbs, is this a big problem?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Does what it says, Idle Air Control Valve. I dont know much about twin carb setups but back in the day and on bikes you never had these things. Only 2 screws, idle adjustment and mixture adjustment. With any luck you can just adjust the idle screw.

Throttle cable to tight?

Any vacuum leaks?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts