Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a honda civic VTEC 1996 hatcback (EK3). i do have a sports exhaust on it but it doesnt sound too loud. it gives the car a nice sport sound but i want loud sound. one of my friends told me to DE-CAt it. obviously that means taking the Cat converter out and replacing it with a DE-CAT pipe. would that make the car sound very loud because that's what i want. i also have an induction kit installed. i dont want to change the manifold. i just want to install a de-cat pipe.
When i install it. would it go straight in to the place of cat converter or would some modification be required. i am not too worried about speed gain or anything like that. i love loud sounds so would that make it happen. Also i have seen few going on ebay for about £40. are they any good. please send me a link from ebay.co.uk site, which you think is the best one and will go straight in place of cat converter. being a VTEC, would it sound loud after DE-CAT
thanks indeed

·
Registered
98 Posts
It will make it louder i know mine did on the prelude.

Do you have a full cat back exhaust or just a back box? if its a full system what size is it?

·
Registered
795 Posts
It will probably make it sound louder. I wouldn't know about fitting but it should make it a bit louder and free up some HP so wether ya want to go quicker or not its inevitable.

If your gonna do it I wouldn't go for something off eGay either if I were you.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's a link to my car and the modifications with pictures. viewtopic.php?f=52&t=4595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lols @ eGay. I bought a backbox it does sound nice but not too loud like i wan it. ya so its just the backbox i bought. am i going to have to change the manifold or just the De-CAT pipe.
lolz i know i am asking for too much but would De-cating my car make it proper loud. one of my frinds had his car DE-CAT and his car could be heard for miles. very nice. loved it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
De-cat'ing it will make it much louder. without a doubt but really you'll want to replace the cat and the cat-back system mate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when you say cat back system, do you mean the parts after the decat and the backbox. i do have a sports backbox fitted. If i De-cat it, would it make burble noise while standing still

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VTEC sounds nice. i usually hear it for example when im in second gear and after 4000 rpm if i put my foot down quickly i can feel the kick back and sounds very nice and powerfull with my current backbox but its not loud enough. i want it loud. next question is to get it DE-CATed, do i buy a decat pipe / piece and stick it in place of cat. is that how simple it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yeah it is you just un bolt the cat(mind you it maybe rusted on so some wd40 might help).the de-cat pipe should be the right dimensions for your car and slot right in you just need some exaust paste to put on the new pipe at either end to make a good seal. you should bare in mind that you will have to switch back once its mot time else it wont pass emisions but once you've done it once it wont be that hard.seriously its a 30 minute job if no blots are rusted in etc. lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the help guys... i dont know why but i trust this website and you lot more than my own mechanics as the help provided here is spot on. im sorry i keep asking questions. my next question is on ebay they are sellign de-cat pipe with 3 bolts slot on one end and 2 bolts on the other side of the pipe. is that one i need. my civic is 1.5 Vtec hatcback 1996. so would my car have 3 bolts pattern comin down from manifold pipe and than 2 bolts slot connecting towrds the back box bit.
here's a link to the one i was thinking of buying.. please tell me if this would fit my car http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/B-New-HONDA-CIVIC ... 18Q2el1247" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thank you guys :)

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
this is sumthing that always confuses me :S

people wanting their cars to be ridiculously loud, all you want is a nice sports tone to make it stand out a bit more, anything above that in my opinion
just makes you look like a twat, you hear this big grumble coming round the corner, you expect a TVR or sumthing to be coming round at 120mph!!
next minute some corsa with a 6inch exhaust crawls past at about 20 mph!! pure stupid!
but yes if you want to make it louder, yes a decat will make it alot louder and no it does not need modifyed, its a simple bolt on!!

you will probably want to put a sledge hammer through every panel and every window on your car though trying to get the rusted bolts off your catylitic converter!! lol

dont be destroying your cat to a state where it cant be re-used because your going to need it for m.o.t

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i install a de-cat pipe, would any of the lights on my dashboard light up. does it have anything to do with O2 sensors, would i have any problems with the cluster panel lights showing up or would i have to install any other additional o2 sensors or anything. i get very very decent milege from my fuel, bein a VTEC. would i lose any of that decent fuel economy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yeah forgot to say the o2 sensor.but yeah you will lose fuel econamy(bad spelling) as with any mods your trading performance or sound in your case for usability so fuel economy in this case you want to be carefull also as you could end up with a raspy sound but thats not always a bad thing also you will lose some back pressure which will mean you loose torque in exchange for higher end power i think but as its only one part it may not affect you that much mate.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Seems like a silly question but why don't you spend your money on making your car go fast rather than sound fast?

·
Registered
188 Posts
sorry to be a pain mate but these people are right, in reguards to ur "vtec" kick in 3rd gear and 4k rpms, tats a bit of bull.

i have an ek3, and a d15z6! so i know what it feels like ;)

also dont de-cat it, yes its ALOT louder and frees up couple horses, but if u come to gettin a B fited with a proper cross-over, its hard to notice unless u know its there.

it fucks me off now when i drive mine and cant hear vtec cross over properly!

go subtle mate its the way to go, ditch ebay shit and get buddyclub exhaust system, u wont need a de-cat for it to be loud with that on it.

ps they cost a fair quid so really upto you if u wana spend proper money on ur car.

Nuno

1 - 20 of 25 Posts