Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just found this forum, after searching for information on turning my Civic into a track day car.

Recently let the MOT expire as needs some work (usual rear brake calipers, together with driveshafts and radiator). It was my daily driver up to 152k miles, so I thought it was time for semi-retirement.

Can't part with it, as it's such a great little car. Granted it's not as fast as a VTi or newer Type R, but I should have a bit of fun tuning it for the track.

Anyway, I hope to pick up a few tips from you guys, and will try not to ask any stupid questions! :redface:

Anthony.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mathew, that's what I was hoping.

Just trying to get my head around the correct engine and chassis codes floating around the place - I believe my Esi is an EG5 with a D16Z6 engine - does that sound correct? It is a 3 door hatchback.

I know that in an ideal world I would start with a VTi, but I couldn't find one for love nor money a few years ago when I bought the ESi.

My ultimate aim is to try the Toyo Tyres Racing Saloons series in a year or two. I had a BMW 320i and started stockpiling parts for the Production BMW championship, but it needed loads of welding. Besides, my heart wasn't in it as I kept thinking about the old Civic!

Hope to get it roadworthy again in the next month, then possibly take it to the Nurburgring in the spring/summer.

Ant.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I think D16Z6s are about 125 - 130 BHP standard, cheapest option would be to throw a set of high compression pistons etc... in, don't know if your looking for rebuild or bolt on options though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul....I intend to keep some form of photo diary of the preparation, so seems like a good idea to do a project feature. I think it would be pretty basic compared to some of the cars I have read about on here so far.

Civit....thanks for the tip. I will be looking at an engine rebuild at some point - something I have always wanted to do in fact. Have done all the work on the car in the five years or so I've owned it (incl. cambelt change at 120k), but haven't any knowledge of tuning parts available. Am I correct in thinking the car have an ECU remap to take into account inlet/exhaust and any other mods I perform?

Ant.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Inlet / oulet mods you will get by with without having a tune, unless you choose too, it really depends on how much you want to spend and your power expectations.... to be honest ;)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Welcome to the site :) You looking to stay NA or thinking about going turbo?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys, looking to stay NA, as would like to do some sprinting/racing in future, so would make it easier to for class regulations I think.

I did wonder whether the ECU could take into account minor mods to inlet and exhaust, otherwise it would make aftermarket pipes and filters a bit of a waste! Thanks for the info.

I think the power increases will be later on - my priority will be uprating brakes and suspension, and probably fitting a roll cage pretty early on to esure the shell is as stiff as poss - is it just me, or does the Civic flex quite a bit?

Ant

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
Hi and welcome to Honda Civic Forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts