Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone is it possible to fit a Honda DOHC 1.6vti B16a2 engine to a 1.4 civic ej9? if so will it drop onto the existing engine mounts? and what else would i need to buy to do the conversion?

·
Registered
770 Posts
wow this gets asked alot lol.

no it wont drop straight in, you need mounts, drive shafts, front hubs, ecu, loom, ect.

a d16z6 would drop straight in on the mounts and would use all the existing drive shafts, hubs but you would still need the loom and ecu.

·
Registered
770 Posts
never personally done it but from what i can see you buy inserts that go in your OE mount and allow the B to be bolted in, ive also seen people cut and weld to get new B mounts in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone know were i can get the b16a2 mounts from? and does anyone now if there are any companies in the uk who would do the engine swap?

·
Registered
381 Posts
search for innovative mounts on ebay US they should have D to B series mounts for your car, they are half the price of the hasport alloy ones but are steel with poly inserts and i can vouch for them being good mounts ;)

Edit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INNOVATI ... ccessories" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

since im in a good mood i did the searching for you, that was the shop i got mine from and delivery was very quick, four days i think but i had a custom charge on it for around £30 but still over £100 cheaper than the Hasport ones ;)

Edit:

and im sure if you were local to someone on here they would be able to do the swap for you in a weekend for a far better price than any garage would charge you, i did a swap on a mates car for £100 and that included taking the engine etc out of the donor car and his car and put the donor engine in, two days work start to finish and we had a problem with the immobiliser not recognising the new ecu so that took a while to figure out lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi thanks for your help broonie86. is there anyone local who could help me? i live in south wales. would you advise a civic type r ek4 or ek9 as the donor car?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I am down in South Wales as well. Could probably arrange something for you... PM me if you want.

·
Registered
381 Posts
to be honest you will pay a fortune for a B16B out of an ek9, you can get a b16a and tune it to have the same power as a b16b for less than a b16b

any B16a2 will do the job and are found in quite a few cars and are cheap to get you hands on, i paid £50 for mine and im only using the head from it so i have a bottom end spare :rolleyes: there are alot of bargains to be had just now soi just have a look around on the honda forums ;)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
broonie86 said:
to be honest you will pay a fortune for a B16B out of an ek9, you can get a b16a and tune it to have the same power as a b16b for less than a b16b

any B16a2 will do the job and are found in quite a few cars and are cheap to get you hands on, i paid £50 for mine and im only using the head from it so i have a bottom end spare :rolleyes: there are alot of bargains to be had just now soi just have a look around on the honda forums ;)
Hes right, don't bother buying a B16b engine. They are like the B18c6 engines way over priced!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Edd i like to think im always right lol the girlfriend will tell you different though :rolleyes: lol

but yes they are very over priced for what you get, i have seen integra type r's complete with mot go for less than a engine swap alone its crazy

a b16a1 would do you aswell, found in ef civics and crx's and only 10hp less than the a2 but you would need a hydro box to go with your car but again they are easy to get a hold of

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if a i got a b16a2 engine, wiring loom, ecu, a/c, what else would i need? i assume id defo need the gearbox to go with the engine? coz the standard 1.4 one would be no good right? ive also been told the b16a is not as durable as the b16a2, is that true?

·
Registered
381 Posts
to be honest the a1 is pretty much exactly the same engine as the a2, just different cam profiles,i have seen alot of a1's with over 200k miles on them and still going strong, the engine will take care of you as long as you take care of it ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts