Honda Civic Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have been following these forums for a while now and I finally decided to sign up myself. First of all, I would like to point out that I have read as much as I could from previous topics but I am still stuck with my car going into the dreaded LIMP MODE. I own a 53 reg (2004) Honda Civic 1.7 TDCi, it has around 90000 miles on the clock.

A couple of weeks ago I was on the motorway going about 80 mph and the cars engine started to shake and jerk a little and out of nowhere I have lost all power and the car would not go over 2000 revs (LIMP MODE like so many others have had on this forum).

I decided to take the car to Honda, they took a look at it and told me that the the fuel filter was broken and needed to be replaced. I OK'd it and they charged me £120 including labour. However around a week later on the motorway, the exact same thing happened to the car. This time around Honda looked at the car and told me that they received the following code P1236. They told me that the turbo needed to be replaced and said that it would cost £1200. I refused to pay this and took the car to a garage a friend recommended. The mechanic took a look at the car and called me later on to tell me that he could not find any faults with the turbo (all pipes were good and so on).

I just don't know what to do with the car now. What else could it be? The EGR valve (I asked him to clean it and replace the oil filter as well)? I will also as him to check the air mass meter. From your experiences what else could cause this problem? Has anyone that has had the same problem/s been able to get the car fixed?

Anyway, does P1236 definitely mean that the turbo charger is broke and if so, is it a good idea to buy a reconditioned turbo?

Thank You

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello

Hi guys,

I have been following these forums for a while now and I finally decided to sign up myself. First of all, I would like to point out that I have read as much as I could from previous topics but I am still stuck with my car going into the dreaded LIMP MODE. I own a 53 reg (2004) Honda Civic 1.7 TDCi, it has around 90000 miles on the clock.

A couple of weeks ago I was on the motorway going about 80 mph and the cars engine started to shake and jerk a little and out of nowhere I have lost all power and the car would not go over 2000 revs (LIMP MODE like so many others have had on this forum).

I decided to take the car to Honda, they took a look at it and told me that the the fuel filter was broken and needed to be replaced. I OK'd it and they charged me £120 including labour. However around a week later on the motorway, the exact same thing happened to the car. This time around Honda looked at the car and told me that they received the following code P1236. They told me that the turbo needed to be replaced and said that it would cost £1200. I refused to pay this and took the car to a garage a friend recommended. The mechanic took a look at the car and called me later on to tell me that he could not find any faults with the turbo (all pipes were good and so on).

I just don't know what to do with the car now. What else could it be? The EGR valve (I asked him to clean it and replace the oil filter as well)? I will also as him to check the air mass meter. From your experiences what else could cause this problem? Has anyone that has had the same problem/s been able to get the car fixed?

Anyway, does P1236 definitely mean that the turbo charger is broke and if so, is it a good idea to buy a reconditioned turbo?

Thank You
i have the same problem, first was p0238, after i go to honda service they change me valve regulating tipe A and the new problem was p1236...
You have solved you're problem?
please answer me

·
Registered
2 Posts
Turbo issues?

Hi guys.

I have a 53 plate 1.7cdti.

It has had the turbo replaced under warranty in 2007.

I have owned the car since 2009 without any issues regarding limp mode, until yesterday!

I filled it up with fuel (put in quarter of a tank as it has three quarters in already) Don't think this could cause the issue?

Then drove a few miles to motorway, and as I gently accelerated (50 mph restrictions on M1) up the inclined sliproad it went into limp mode, and revs would not go above 3000.
I got it back home, and twenty minutes later started it, and it revved past 3000 ok.

I drove it this morning, and gave it a blast on the motorway (bit nervous in case it goes into limp mode again!) and it was fine in all gears, and revving easily past 4000 and driving great.

I did not have any lights come on yesterday...

What do you think? get the code read and just keep driving it?

If the turbo's been changed could it be that again? as its a modified part?

any advice would be appreciated. I can't afford trying to replace random bits so am not going to Honda.

Thanks guys.:)

Please follow below link as i was having the exact problem same error messages and i got EGR and Turbo cleaned with Mr Muscle and it has worked like a charm. :)

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/1902876-post1.html

Thanks

DO NOT TRY TO REPLACE TURBO UNTIL YOU TRIED ABOVE

Peace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts